Avoid Urpmi, it's broken for 2005

Guest anon

Guest Adriano1

What about "the hdlists don't list what's really there?" I'd been trying to install the multimedia kernel, and the version in the hdlist was different from the actual file in the mirror, so...

Apart from that, using the new rpmdrake option "add supports" fails with an "I can't find the hdlists" message. Or it did until yesterday when I changed to the community tree.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps someone can explain this to me, on the Mandriva down load page for 2005, the mirrors all point to /devel, why aren't they pointing to the 2005 directory?

Guest Adriano1

Because otherwise it wouldn't be any fun. It's like a protracted april's fool joke. Maybe they're using the revolutionary calendar: "Germinal's fool!"

Edited by Adriano

adriano: can't reproduce:

[root@htpc adamw]# urpmi.addmedia 2005contrib ftp://anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk/Mandrakel...6/media/contrib with ../media_info/synthesis.hdlist_contrib.cz

(source is added)

[root@htpc adamw]# urpmi --test --allow-force --media 2005contrib kernel-multimedia-2.6

ftp://anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk/Mandrakel...1-1mdk.i586.rpm

3% of 21.5M completed, ETA = 0:03:29, speed = 182k

[root@htpc adamw]#

I used --allow-force as I already have a later kernel-multimedia installed, and ctrl-c'ed after 3%. But you get the idea. At least on anorien, the hdlist matches what's in contrib in the official tree, for kernel-multimedia at least. Anyone got other examples?

Mirrors have been fully updated, so have reverted back to the /officail/2005 dir on our easy-urpmi site.

Have also added "Jpackage" and "PLF free" and "non free" mirrors for 2005.

anon: would it be possible to have both the /devel and /official trees available through easy urpmi so people could choose, the same way you have CE and OE available for previous releases? The /official tree should probably be default, but it'd be nice to have both available. Thanks! :)

If i get some spare time, will see if i can add /devel for you.

We (kernow-webhosting.com ) are adding a new server soon and moving this board over, so i am busy working on that atm.