Hardware Acceleration for KDE

Guest blackstripe

Guest blackstripe

I've had this idea in my head for a while. Wouldn't it be nice to have the option to have KDE (or any other desktop environment or window manager) be accelerated by OpenGL? It would use a person's 3D card to display the desktop(s) if the user so chose. The interface would not necessarily be 3D though, even though that would be a nice option.

My friend, who is now running Apple Jaguar, noticed a great speed increase when he upgraded to it (and Jaguar will render your desktop using your 3D card if possible).

So, first, what do you all think of such an idea? And also, where would I suggest this to the KDE developers?

I think it would be easier to incorporate 2D acceleration into the XFree86 system than to try to re-engineer KDE to use OpenGL display routines.

If you wanted a seperate OpenGL accelerated window manager, you should probably consider developing a whole new one based off of the KDE source, maybe naming it KOpenGLDE or something shnazzier.

Guest blackstripe
I think it would be easier to incorporate 2D acceleration into the XFree86 system than to try to re-engineer KDE to use OpenGL display routines.

That actually sounds like a better idea now that you mention it.