'urpmi k3b' installs *horrible kdm with it

reflection666

Hello ppl

I'm a gnome fanatic semi-noob.

I've installed k3b (I find it more reliable than any other burner) and it came with some rpms like kdebase-kdm and mdkkdm. The previous packages knocked out my gdm graphical login and replaced it with the awfull kdm :)... When I try to uninstall kdm k3b must also go (due to deps).

What can I do to bring gdm back? Which file do I have to edit (I cant find my way through mdks graphical tools)?

K3B also installs kdelibs and kdebase (else you cannot run k3bsetup).

You can simply change your initialization files and use gdm instead- in most distros this is done by editing /etc/inittab, but some differ.

But since you seem to use Mandrake, you can use mcc, which has a login manager module- there you can pick between kdm, gdm and xdm. In Mandrake, the file which decides the login manager is /etc/sysconfig/desktop

kdm isn't much uglier or less secure than gdm, in fact all login managers suck. Just use level 3 at bootup and edit your ~.xinitrc to get your fave window manager after "startx".

Edited by scarecrow

there's nothing particularly wrong about autologin. initial login screens don't give you any security unless you have your machine physically heavily locked down; they only serve to allow you to choose users. I never need to choose between two users, so no need for an initial login screen.

well... I've made kdm much prettier :) and don't have a prolbem now!!!

as for auto-login, well I dont consider it safe-I usualy logout (not lock screen) when I am away so anyone (my haxor mom or my 80-year-old-how-do-i-turn-the-tv-on dad) could login by just rebooting.

Then they would probably use my passwords to post mediocore jokes on linux forums or log into uoa.gr protein prediction servers and mess up my cgis :lol2:

Marked the thread Solved - Artificial Intelligence

there's nothing particularly wrong about autologin. initial login screens don't give you any security unless you have your machine physically heavily locked down; they only serve to allow you to choose users. I never need to choose between two users, so no need for an initial login screen.

It depends on the environment.....IMHO...

sure you can short out the bios reset and get rid of protection then fit a CD and boot and.... but it stops opportunists having to log in.

workwise its very important and homewise I just consider it good practice.

however one of the other reasons is I have a test user who I mess about with...

this has saved my ass a few times...

you can still logout even with autologin BUT its just practice for me (like locking your car when its in a garage...)