Updates CD

tyme

Would you be interested in an updates cd?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in an updates cd?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
    • No, I don't like you! wait, what?

Those of you with a good memory (*cough*not anon*cough* ;) ) would know I used to make an updates cd for Mandrake, back in the day. I'm considering starting it up again.

Basically, at the end of each week, I would create and upload an ISO that would contain -all- of the updates that are on the mirrors. You could add it as a source and quickly update the system you're on, without needing an internet connection.

I realize some people would like incremental CD's, where each week there would be a new ISO that only contained the new updates from the last CD - this isn't feasible. I don't have the space on geektyme.org to hold more than 1 ISO at a time, so it would contain all updates (of course, there would be only the most recent version if a package is updated more than once.)

So please, vote, let me know, and I'll look into it. I wouldn't be able to start until MDV 2005 LE ISO's hit the public servers, however - because I need to be able to test everything.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but I don't see what the advantage is over getting the packages directly from Mandriva's mirrors. Mandriva already configures main, contrib and updates for you. Direct updates seem easier than downloading an ISO, mounting or burning it, then manually adding it as a urpmi source or doing a blind urpmi *. ISOs require the amount of downloading with more steps involved. People who maintain multiple systems are just going to run wget or rsync on Mandriva's update mirrors anyway.

Don't get me wrong, you can't argue with demand for a product (I see there are a few votes in favour). I just don't see the benefit. Maybe if you made an autorun disc that checks to see if main and contrib are configured, then runs urpmi on your updates, it would be more useful.

:screwy: yeah, I'm a bit confused too. I think you have a good idea however, how about a small fee (to cover disc cost and shipping) for an actual disc? I khow that could turn into a bit of a hassle, tyme, eerrrr, time wise. That would work better for me right now, since I'm stuck with dial-up and have no access to high speed :angry: internet.

can i vote? i dont use mandriva, so i wouldnt need the updates, but i think its a good idea.

i know that some people in some places have a connection but not at home, so dowloading an ISO for their home system from that location could help. or, you could carry the cd with you if you were installing on someone elses system, so they would have an up-to-date distro from the start.

While I don't need to get update CDs, I still think it is a good idea. In fact, that's what I usually do, I mirrored an ftp update, burn it to a cdrw, then carry it always with me to update the computers in my office and other people I installed Mandrake in.

Guest shtik

for myself i would appreciate it ... i've got at home no broadband connection, so i don't see a way for updates other than this - a very good idea! :)

shtik

• 3 weeks later...

just an update....

I've downloaded & burned the DVD ISO of mandriva. I will be installing it this afternoon, and hopefully will have the first updates CD out within a week (you know, if there are updates to be had).

This is a great idea for me, i often have to update multiple computers in different locations with slow connections, an update cd would be very nice!.

Cheers :)