The Donkey is kicking me offline

scoopy

Been running mldonkey a bit now with some success, but a couple problems need to be solved.

If I let mldonkey run overnight I will find my connection has dropped and I must reset my cable modem and router to get it back. A reboot does not fix my connection.

The donkey also hogs up all my bandwidth on my 2 puter network. With other p2p apps, I usually can surf on the 2 puters at the same time it is uploading at 12.5 K/s (I am capped at 128 upstream). With the donkey, I can't, even tho I have it set to an 8000 bps up.

Is there anything I can try to remedy this?

I was also wondering why there are many servers that state "No Donkey" (Maybe this has something to do with the problems)

Thanks,

eDonkey runs on its own network. The original edonkey webpage is http://www.edonkey2000.com/ .

eDonkey is really good for movies, complete mp3 albums in .zip format, programs ... even linux distro. I download the 7 suse iso image from that... lol

However, the donkey is slow.. you have to be patient. But if you download lots of file (like 15 movies, 2 albums and 1 linux distro) then it will be fast. ;-)

MOttS

Thanks MottS,

we got edonkey installed and running now. I think this is the one I had set out to install in the first place, but somehow I ended up with mldonkey instead.

I did like the fact that mldonkey would connect with most of the sharing networks out there and multi-source the downloads. Hopefully the edonkey will satisfy my tastes in downloads, cause it looks cool so far.

Oh and the exact message I had seen referenced mldonkey and not the edonkey.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been using mldonkey for the last few months just fine. About a week or 2 ago mldonkey started killing my net connection. I'm on AT&T cable. I don't know why this is happening all of a sudden since mldonkey was working so good. I know someone that is a tech for AT&T so I'm going to pick his brain and see if he knows anything.