Mandrake 10.1 P.P. to Mandriva 10.2 P.P

theo

Hi,

I'm a happy user of Mandrake 10.1 PowerPack since some months.

When the Mandriva 10.2 PowerPack will be available (it seems to be in a few time) I would like to upgrade my Mandrake 10.1 PowerPack to the Mandriva 10.2 PowerPack.

I bought Mandrake 10.1 PowerPack, the DVD version, via the Mandrake site (via FTP, the download version).

So... what are the possibilities for me?

- Buy the new version in the same way?

- Download the Mandriva 10.2 L.E. and just proceed to an upgrade

- Update my urpmi settings and urpmi will do the rest (I'm dreaming perhaps :P)

And how I have to upgrade?

- Just proceed to a 'simply' upgrade

- Format and reinstall (better stability ?)

- Urpmi

I would like to thank in advance your replies :thanks:

Three options:

1: urpmi

2: upgrade install

3: clean install, don't format /home

With urpmi, you can indeed just change your sources to point to a 10.2 mirror and do --auto-select. This will probably, mostly, roughly, work. :) The more complicated your install, the more things you have changed in /etc, the more software you've installed outside the MDK packaging system, the less likely it is to work well. Two important notes - run 'urpmi kernel' afterwards to update the kernel manually, and run 'updatedb' as root then 'slocate .rpmnew' and 'slocate .rpmsave' to locate config files that have changed.

The other two options both involve doing an install. There's an 'upgrade install' option which really basically just does an urpmi --auto-select and has more or less the same guidelines. It does have a little more logic written into so is slightly more reliable. The last option is the most reliable; tell the installer to do a clean install, choose custom partitioning, mount your existing /home partition as /home and make sure the installer doesn't format it. There are two issues here: it relies on having a separate /home partition (so if you don't, you can't do this) and you will lose any configuration changes you made outside of /home.

Mmh ... Not so natural than emerge world ;)

The way I prefer (by experience) is to install again from a whole new base.

But I have to prepare this new installation:

- blackbox 0.70

- spcaxxx for my webcam

- nvidia drivers

- adobe reader 7

- my lilo boot configuration

- and surely a lot of other stuffs that I configured (99% in my home directory).

Well ... I choose to wait still a few time before doing this new installation.

My 10.1 is so stable now than I smell myself very well like that.

Anyway, thank you for your answer.

Theo.

The Club 2005 includes nvidia and Acrobat 7, so that's two less things to worry about if you're in the Club. If not, you'll just need to reinstall them after doing the update, they shouldn't stop it working. spca is no longer needed, according to artee.

emerge world is the same as urpmi --auto-select...I know gentoo users, I know it isn't perfect either, you can't fool me. ;).

emerge world is the same as urpmi --auto-select...I know gentoo users, I know it isn't perfect either, you can't fool me. ;).

I'm sure. let's see, let me run a comand that will sequencialy remove every piece of software from my system and replace it with newer software by the same name. Yup, that ought to be fool proof. LOL

I now really hesitate to upgrade my computer with Man-dree-vah or with Gentoo 2005.0 ...

I know Gentoo is more difficult to install and configure (urpmi is great for that) but when installed and ready to use, I don't have to ask me when will be the next time I'll have to entirely reinstall my computer (emerge is great for that) ...

Just this idea feels me like a happy geek ...

We'll see ... for now I'm feeling so good with my stable 10.1 MDK :afro:

But ... for how many time?

Edited by theo

theo: it's not really a fair comparison if you upgrade Gentoo regularly...if you were to wait six months after installing Gentoo _then_ do emerge world, I imagine things would be exciting :). If you run Cooker and do urpmi --auto-select daily the upgrading process is usually pretty smooth. It's all the other stuff you have to watch out for. :)