MDL 2005 LE available to club members!

sitor

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just noticed a strange thing.

I have upgraded my rc2 install to 2005 dvd

and now i used easy urpmi to add the stable main and contrib official repositorys for 2005

and it showed up 116MB of rpms to upgrade newer then on dvd ????

if it had been in updates it would have been ok but not this.

the official repositorys should have been same as dvd.

some of them is upgraded because they are from contrib and not included on dvd

and others is newer on dvd then in official repository.

a quite important package is missing from dvd subversion

and half of the new xine is missing from dvd

another package missing from dvd is xorg-x11-server xorg-x11-Xnest libxorg-x11-static-devel

the last 3 is really bad that they are missing from dvd !!!!

Update the missing rpms is there on dvd but obviously not included in hdlist.cz

this does not mean that the install does not work it will probaly work anyway

it was only i who made an update that saw this.

So my advice is use easy urpmi and add online repositorys for main and contrib at once after install

and upgrade.

Edited by thac

And I'm sure _someone_ would've noticed that before we shipped

I heard NASA say the same when they confused centimetres for inches in some ESA made components. And ESA when they forgot to turn on one out of two transmitter channels in their Titan probe. ;)

Edited by solarian

My experiences with Mandriva 2005 LE:

I did the network install. Downloaded the boot.iso, burned a cd and rebooted. It's idiot proof and worked flawlessly (I had to try 3 servers though to get one with decent speed).

I liked the new splash but ofcourse it's better to keep away from your kids. Starry eyed penguins are not for the little ones.

The system feels nice and snappy. No need to build a new kernel.

KDE is all messed up (well only kicker) because of my kde 3.4 configs. Installed thacs rpms and noticed I had menu problems (no text! and double entries). And I can't install a kde-devel package so I can't compile all my favorite programs from kde-apps (taskbar v2, komics, kio-locate :) )

Tried to configure the ivtv driver from the MCC. What a mess. It works but only because I knew what to do. Someone new to Mandriva would run away screaming.

Freevo is broken. I can't get it to play or record from /dev/video0. No errors so probably a python problem. I don't know what mandriva is doing with python but there is always something wrong.

XMLTV and the Dutch tv grabbers don't work. And why don't Mandriva include tv-grab_nl_gert. It's the best of the lot. (I hope gert from tv_grab_nl_gert is on to it :) ).

The Wacom tablet doesn't work correctly. That has to do with the usbmouse module. I wish Mandriva wouldn't include it. Nobody needs it anyway.

Mandriva still comes with lirc 0.66 instead of 0.7x and that ancient version doesn't work with my remote (0.71 installs without problems though)

So I exchanged a stable, perfectly working Mandrake 10.1 install for a bug infested mess but for what.? What did I expect? That it would be better? Impossible. That it would be faster. Well it feels a bit snappier but I'm afraid that is just my imagination. I guess the only reason why I upgraded is because I always upgrade ............... :D