MDL 2005 LE available to club members!

sitor

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my colleagues upgraded his system to MDV2005LE and said it was the best OS he ever installed and used.

I'm running it on my laptop from fresh install with the dvd, my server from iso image (booting with GRUB - if anyone had trouble in the past to convince me of the superiority of GRUB compared to LILO : yes, in certain cases GRUB offers ways that are really needed that LILO can't do -- btw the server has no dvd and I only have the dvd image, so I couldn't have done a disc install there), and just now my desktop system by removing all sources, adding the dvd iso image (as mounted local files), main, contrib, plf(non)free and updates, and doing urpmi --auto --auto-select --noclean (I'll get to the noclean part).

Seems fine, just that I haven't rebooted or even restarted my session yet.

On the laptop, with the multimedia kernel, suspend to disk _and_ to ram now both work. The USB wireless dongle doesn't work anymore - on bugzilla they mention it's a kernel bug. Ah well, it's not mine anyway. I did use 2 pcmcia wireless cards though, and the wired ethernet - hot plugging all the way (ping www.google.com and unplug the cable - it went on - plug back the cable, take out the card, ping times keep working fine - plug the other card, unplug the cable - still keeps working!!).

USB works like a charm too - my digital cam now gets mounted, and one can finally exchange cards in cardreaders without unplugging the cardreader, just removing and inserting memory cards works fine.

My usb hd gets all the partitions mounted too, before there was some code in the perl scripts that stated that with too many partitions things might get too 'risky' so nothing got automounted, I had to do it by hand. This time around, all gets mounted fine.

As for using --noclean on urpmi, I set up my server and mounted /var/cache/urpmi/rpm on my lappie and desktop, so that I only have to download any rpm once - it will be available to all machines that might need it.

As far as I can tell, I like mdv2005le better than any system before this, the improvements are not hard to find (to me), and the only disadvantage I could find so far is that usb wireless dongle issue... IMHO things are looking very good for MANDRIVA.

:P

Yes it's a bit strong but these are apps I use every day (not that my live depends on it but I'm used to them). It's not a good sign that when you install a new/improved system you end up with something worse.

That said I had problems with 10.1 to after the install.... :)

No bug reports.

BTW since adamw is reading in, have a look here:

http://www1.mandrivalinux.com/en/82.php3

and tell me there actually existed such a thing as Mandriva Linux 8.2.

Please, someone should do something about this - a name change doesn't mean one can go back in time and erase the old names. Just running a script on the contents of a website doesn't do either.

I guess now we've seen it all :(

Lim Ed 2005 is just great! A rocking KDE version.

I am having a lot of fun with the backported (from 3.4) K Text-To-Speech and Kmouth, fabulous. Try it! You can let every text in the clipboard 'speak', you can use the integration in konqueror, highlight text and let it 'speak'. Or download a free book in ascii format from the Gutenberg project and let your cat or dog listen while you are at work.

Did I mention that I love the star-eyed penguin as bootsplash? Sweeet.

Oh yes, and all my hardware works, but it did with 10.0 and 10.1 too, and with 9.1 and 9.2 ;-)

@devries: you should report your kde mess to thac ;-)

One major bug. And reported weeks or months ago. Kaffeine, the default video application for KDE, when closing, the process continues to run in the background, even worse, restarting kaffeine: new process, after some days you have a hell of processes. 'killall kaffeine' helps. I really hope that we get an update soon, because it is invisible ...

--chris

"As for using --noclean on urpmi, I set up my server and mounted /var/cache/urpmi/rpm on my lappie and desktop, so that I only have to download any rpm once - it will be available to all machines that might need it."

oh, you can do things much more elegantly than that hack! It's one of urpmi's least known but coolest features, parallel mode. I have a lil' file on my main machine, /etc/urpmi/parallel.cfg. It looks like this:

local:ssh:toy:htpc

I have urpmi-parallel-ssh installed on this machine too. Thanks to those two little things, I can do:

urpmi --parallel local foobar

and package foobar gets installed on the machines 'toy' and 'htpc' on my local network after being downloaded only once, to the server machine. Neat, yes? :)

I'm sure you can figure out how the config file works, but just in case, it defines a group named 'local' using method 'ssh' comprising the machines 'toy' and 'htpc'. As long as the server can log in to toy and htpc as root via ssh, that's all you need.

If you're wondering how to update hdlists everywhere at once, use fanout - install package fanout, run:

fanout "toy htpc" "urpmi.update -a"

again, ssh access needs to be working, and you're done.

Only fly in the ointment with this little setup is you can't include the server machine itself in the group, as urpmi gets itself all confused and trips over its own locks. Rafael tells me he could fix this, but it'd need some non-trivial rewriting - maybe I'll ask him again and see if he can get it done for 2006. But anyway, neat, yes?

As for Mandriva 8.2, heh, yes, we weren't actually intending to go and Rewrite History, in fact Gael had thought about it and specifically mentioned we weren't going to change all the old names. I expect someone got a bit trigger-happy with the search-and-replace. I'll report it to Gael and it'll get fixed, hopefully.

Edited by adamw

There is a amarok script that can say the name of the record when it starts playing (and everything else of course) using text to speach. Very entertaining :).

I think the problem with thacs kde rpms has to do with Mandriva coming out with a whole load of new packages after the release. I just wait for a new build. Don't want to miss the build in xcompmngr and akregator.

Now if they just would fix Freevo.... That's something I really need.....

adamw - thanks for the info.

My way of doing is slightly different for a number of reasons. For one, I don't have the same things installed on my machines, and I want to keep control. So I just avoid to download things twice.

Second, if I decide to reinstall one machine, I can easily do it, and won't have to re-download a single package from the web. This I do sometimes when I write a report, to make sure I really have the same starting point as those who just have the install media (other than that I won't have to download stuff).

But thanks for the tips on keeping machines in sync.

I will definitely use that fanout thingy! That sounds like very handy.

BTW devries, I have setup my xmms playing on my server so that each song change a wav gets created with the artist, album and songname, which I can get played by pressing a specific key on the IR remote.

I have also created the same for a radio station we like to listen to, who don't put info on RDS (they want people to go to their website to see what's playing, and offer links to buy the albums...) so my script just grabs the webpage and java pages, parses it, and greps for the artist, album and track title, then passes it through festival speech synthesiser and this file I can play with the remote on demand.

artee: i can see how it works in your case then, yep. I think most of the Cooker people who use a similar system to yours just mirror the entire tree (or the bits of it relevant to them - no point picking up PPC if you only have x86 machines) with fmirror or rsync, your method is fine too I guess.

I've used Mandriva 2005 LE now for a few days and I must admit that it is growing on me. Sure Freevo is still broken and I'm certain that this will be the case for the next month or so (I'm using stupid little scripts to record stuff) and My wacom tablet isn't behaving nicely.

However for every one of these annoyances Mandriva has other things going for it that make life so much more enjoyable. To begin with I really like the speed and responsiveness of this release. My computer has never been faster. Second I love the fonts. They are sharp, look great and are very readable. Before I had issues with very small fonts being blurry but not anymore. Third the mouse. In previous releases it always happend that some mouse cursor wouldn't load and that it defaulted to an ugly black cursor. No more. I can drag and drop, click everything and everytime the correct cursor will show. Four is thacs kde 3.4. There is a new build and it's just lovely :D I've got my taskbar, komics and kio-locate again. And SVG wallpapers are very nice. Fifth: I like how everything (wel 95% :) ) just works. Tellico, digikam, OOo, gnucash (though not with composite enabled), amarok, bittornado, mplayer, my remote etcetc. Application I use often do what i want in a way that I want them to do it. Urpmi installs everything without problems (and is faster than in 10.1). Configuration is easy with the MCC (not the ivtv mess though. Something that would have had to cost me 3 minutes took 40 (and then I'm not counting a kernel build).

So though Mandriva 2005 LE is certainly not perfect it has many many things going for it. The update from 10.1 to 2005 has been worth it. :D