Rar archives under Linux

Lärs

So, being a Neverwinter Nights fan, I downloaded the Community Expansion Pack from Bioware. Trouble is, I downloaded a RAR archive. I decided to download the program called "unrar" from sourceforge. I did make and I did get some warnings, but it worked out ok. I did make install, and it did indeed install. When I went to unrar my archive, I got a bunch of errors. The directories extracted fine, but not a single file was extracted.

So here's my question, is there a reliable software for unzipping rar files in Linux? I'm looking for something easy to install under Mandrake 10.1 that actually works. I appreciate all feedback.

Just a remark: 7-zip for Linux is (actually) only available in command lines. But rules like a charm anyway :)

I don't recommand one or another one ...

When I have to unrar, first I do this with the unrar tool.

In your context, there is a problem.

Then I can recommand you to try with 7za (7-zip).

For GUI guy, I have to recommand to install 7zip under wine!

It was easy for me then I imagine that it will be for you!

(I don't have use 7zip under wine till now, it was just for my pleasure ^^)

Enjoy,

Theo.

I have installed 'unrar' and unpack rar files using Ark.

I do the same, except Ark doesn't seem to automatically know what kind of archive the RAR files are, so I always have to choose RAR from the drop down list.

Is there a way to make it recognize it and bypass the drop down list? (still using mdk 10.0 if it makes a difference)

now if only I could find something other than unace from the cli for ace archives. oh well. Thanks for the tip on using ark in 3.4 been on 3.4 for a litle while now, but I was so used to it not working that I didn't even check.

Krusader is very nice :)

Brings back memories of FAR and Total Commander

p.s. ark+unrar+unace worked on the default 10.1 installation for me, so I think it's safe to assume that it works with KDE 3.2.3 too (the ark version which comes with it)

Edited by solarian

I can't speak for lars, but for me, I don't have the command rar on my system. I di9dn't bother to install it, since looking at tarballls you can't tell that rar will unrar also, and I would NEVER package something in a rar file. Frankly, I would never package anything in any of the less common formats. Anyone who tries to distribute files in a 7zip, ace or rar archive, needs to rethink.