Problems with 10.0PP and 10.1PP.

Pepse

Well, over the last 3 weeks I have upgraded my system. Was a Tyan mobo with AMD 1.33 Ghz CPU and 512 Mgs SDram and an old WD 30Ghz hard drive and MDK 9.1 PowerPak. Now I have a Gigabyte 7VM400M-RZ mobo, same ol' AMD 1.33 CPU, 512 megs of DDR 400 Ram, and a new Maxtor 120 Gig hard drive. Oh, yeah, MDK 10.0 PowerPak and MDK 10.1 PowerPak DVD's. Got the new HDD Tues. and was going to put 10.1 PP on it but after I got past the "install packages" I had some sot of error about X11.org (can't find the piece of paper that I wrote it on) and decided that maybe I would be better off installing 10.0PP. As a side note here I will say that I have installed both 10 and 10.1 on an old Maxtor 8.4 Gig HDD and had no problems. Now that I get a 120 Gig Maxtor problems are arising. OK, so I installed (and reformatted the HDD) 10.0PP and when it got to my desktop (KDE) the first thing I wanted to do was to put a link to (what used to be) Mandrake Control Center. And then when going there you gotta say language and then what country and then it says to log out before the changes take place. So, I did.......5 times and it won't let me in any farther than "language and country and logout". I rebooted, ended session, and shutdown. Doesn't matter it won't let me into MCC. I mainly needed to go there to get my dial-up internet connection going. Well, I figured that maybe if I upgraded to 10.1PP I might be OK. Well first of all after removing the DVD and rebooting it hangs up when it gets to my HP 7260 USB printer; so I reboot the computer with the printer off and it is OK. Then of course when in KDE I still have the same issue with MCC. And to top it off in the sys tray where it has the internet connection it wants to connect through my onboard LAN which I disabled in BIOS. Now as a comparrison I didn't have any of these issues when putting either 10.0PP or 10.1PP on that old 8.4Gig hdd. Any ideas?? Should I stick with 9.1PowerPak and try to upgrade certain parts? Or.......???

Oh is it normal for the 120 Gig hard drive to get quite warm after 10 hours of running?

Later. Pepse.

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

last question first. 120gig after to hours. Yes, it will be warm, in fact, a cheap drive will be hot, and a realy cheap drive will be so dang hot that it would be best if it had a cooler on it.

Personaly, I never ehard of such a problem with mcc. In fact, I've never had mandrake control center ask me the time and language before letting me in. Ever. So first and foremost I'm confused.

Are you perhaps trying to run the First Run Wizard (it's the only program I can think of that does that) If that's what you're having trouble with, and not the mcc, just try skipping the wizard, there's nothing magical in there. You can just start with the defaults and then configure those things yourself.

Also, try launching the mcc from a console. the command is mcc.

As for the 10.1 problems, perhapssomeone else will take a stab.

My last and best advice, is that the next version of mandrake is supposed to come out today. MAybe give it a try.

As for the hard drive now that I've been using it a little more it seems to be staying somewhat cool. I think some of my problems were because I started with a brand new hard drive. It might be like with Win were when you get a new hard drive you gotta fdisk and format it. But whatever it was that ain't all my problems with 10.1PP. Because of the various issues I am having I am back on my old 30Gig western digital with 9.1PP; even though I messed up the USB part of the OS I can still run it and use my digital camera and don't have things screwing up, like Mozilla Mail. So far my impression of 10.1PP is not good. Too many things are buggy. I will probably have a few posts on the issues I am having so far with 10.1. Although I will try to trouble shoot through whatever means I can before posting. I do hope I can get 10.1 to work like 9.1 did when I first got it. As for 10.2?? If it is as problematic as 10.1, I will pass on it. Maybe the first Mandriva OS will be more stable; I hope.

Later. Pepse.

I tried to post this Tuesday night but I wasn't able to spell check or preview post or Add reply.

Linux often tends to ignore what you tell the BIOS about hardware; using your onboard network after you disabled it is probably normal behaviour. Your other network interfaces should be available too, though, you just need to configure the connection with drakconnect.

As for your other problems, the first thing I suggest you do is install all the official updates for 10.1 by running MandrakeUpdate and then installing the new kernel package manually with rpmdrake. Then reboot and see if things are better. There were several known bugs in 10.1 that have been fixed in later updates.