Help install DLink DSL302G on Ethernet connection

AgelessStranger

Hi

I am currently posting from windows (After nearly a full year of extremely limited use).

I am currently trying to install a DLink DSL302G ADSL Modem in Mandrake 10.0 OE.

I have a LINKSYS LNE100TX (ver. 5.1) Ethernet card.

I got these two products as I have read that this is the easiest combination to set up in Linux.

I have gone into MCC and I can see the Ethernet card when I look at the hardware list so I would assume that this is ok. I ran the config tool here and selected the following:

LAN

DHCP

then i left everything else blank (ie DNS, etc).

After this did nothing for me at all, I read some stuff and tried to use MCC to configure a new connection.

LAN

Use the Ethernet card

DHCP (Also tried PPPOE later on)

Nothing seems to work. The modem works fine under windows so cabling/hardware is probably not an issue.

My real question is this:

Is there a guide (or can someone show me the steps they took, one by one) to installing a simple ADSL modem on an Ethernet card, preferably using MCC. I dont have a network, it is just one box, connected directly to the modem via the Ethernet card.

One other question is, can I get rid of all the stuff that I have done in MCC to do with these connections and start from the beginning? I wonder about this, as I had Dial up previously and I don't know if this is affecting my new connection (The dial up was running from the serial port, not the Ethernet card, using KPPP)

Also, after I muck around with the network settings in MCC, when I reboot I cannot startx. To get it going again I have to re-compile the Nvidia driver. I don't know if this is just an annoyance or something more sinister.

Sorry about the length of this post.

Thanks

Josh

What's your setup in Windows? If it's Lan pick lan in the MCC. If it's ppp etcetc.

When you have configured the connection, didn't get any errors but still can't connect to the internet it probably means a problem with your firewall. Turn it off and try again.

ifconfig

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:0C:41:22:23:AE
         inet6 addr: fe80::20c:41ff:fe22:23ae/64 Scope:Link
         UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
         RX packets:1 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
         TX packets:17 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
         collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
         RX bytes:60 (60.0 b)  TX bytes:762 (762.0 b)
         Interrupt:19 Base address:0xd800

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
         inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
         inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
         UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
         RX packets:50 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
         TX packets:50 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
         collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
         RX bytes:3296 (3.2 Kb)  TX bytes:3296 (3.2 Kb)

cat /etc/resolv.conf

There is nothing in this file. It does exist, but there is nothing in it. Isn't that supposed to hold the primary and secondary DNS info? This may sound dumb but do I need that to connect to the intrnet? I did have the two DNS numbers that my ISP gave me in there but deleted them when things were not working (I had a similar problem with dial up, deleted the numbers in that file and things were cool).

Also, in regards to turning off the firewall, I went into MCC and selected firewall in security. It had the first box checked (allow everything) and all the others were grayed out, this means that the firewall is off right?

It appears that you're not getting assigned the necessary information via dhcp (are you sure the modem has some form of dhcp server?).

Try running the following in a terminal as root:

dhclient eth0

and check for error messages.

Tried dhcpcd is not a bash command either.

Followed this guide

Clicky

and then used:

route add default gw 10.1.1.1 eth0

to change the default gateway.

I also had to re edit (and add my DNS addresses) my /etc/resolv.conf as something is over writing it with:

search localhost

I know that this is something from the MCC that I have done.

So ADSL is working at the moment (YAY), but I think that it wont be working after I reboot. So one last question.

Where does all the stuff that you do in the MCC with regards to networks and internet get stored?

Thanks

Josh

Edited by AgelessStranger

The files edited by mcc are those mentioned in the link you posted above - hopefully everything should be ok now..... :thumbs:

To prevent /etc/resolv.conf being overwritten you can do

chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf

if you later need to edit the file you'll need to

chattr -i /etc/resolv.conf