mdk on a travelmate 8100

Guest the_lonely_guy

Guest the_lonely_guy

I just got the new Acer travelmate 8100.

Specs : 1.8 Centrino (sonoma processor), Ati radeon x700 128 graphics, v.92 agere modem, bluetooth, irda, dvd writer with DL dvd write compatibility, 15.4" WSXGA screen

I currently have Mandrake 9.2 powerpack and I know that it does not support the video card. I wanted to know if the latest 10.1 would better or should I just wait for a later release which would include the newest X version (6.2 or something) with supports the graphics card?

[moved from Hardware by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

Guest the_lonely_guy

I did check on that website. Unfortunately this laptop came out about 3mths ago and so far no one has posted thier experience with installing linux.

I think the modem, bluetooth and irda is an easy thing to tackle. But the video card is something I was worried about. I know the latest version of X (8.2 :unsure: or something) supports the Radeon x800 card (only 2d though) so it would be safe to assume that it would support x700 cards too. I was wondering if anyone here knew when a newer version would be released with includes this.

Edited by the_lonely_guy

Does your laptop's BIOS support VESA (probably)?

I think Mandrake 10's XFree86 has a VESA driver.

Once you're ready, you should probably install the ATi module (I believe it comes in an rpm).

If this doesn't apply to your situation, forgive me, as I know nothing of laptops and notebooks and the like :lol: . Too expensive for me when I can just buy a $100USD 800Mhz Pentium III with an Nvidia TNT2M64 and the obsolete Aureal 8810 soundcard from a thrift store and use my 10 yr old CRT monitor and my stereo to boost the sound :cheeky: .

Edited by Lärs

Guest the_lonely_guy

I really dont know if this laptop has bios support for vesa or not. But I did try running linux off of a knoppix live CD. It recognizes the card but then says that the driver may not work properly and screen res is something like 1024x768 and looks really weird (this is a 1680x1050 WSXGA) I know the latest X has the support. but I didnt want to get into the hassles of rebuild configuring the whole thing. So was wondering when mdk would come out with the latest version which included that.

Guess being lazy and Tech savy dont go well together !!!!!!!! ;)

Just came across mandriva linux limited edition bragging about updates and all. Is this same as 10.1? I could not get complete details on that release. I hoping that's the answer to my requirements :thumbs:

Edited by the_lonely_guy