Find driver that will subsitute for ATI Rage Pro (AGP 2X)

Guest adamsjw2

Guest adamsjw2

Greetings,

I have a Dell Optiplex GX1 with the video on the motherboard. According to Dell the chip is an ATI Rage Pro (AGP 2X) with 4meg of mem. It says nothing about being 2D, 3D, etc. I cannot get my video setup to my satisfaction in Mandrake 9.0. The display on the monitor is only about 10" x 10".

I have the resolution set to 800x600 at a 16bpp color depth.

In SUSE 8.1 the display setup works wonderfully, however I had to edit the xf86config file by hand. I've tried the same with Mandrake and it still is screwed up.

TIA,

Jim Adams

Have u run XFdrake from a text-based login screen ? See if that gets u 1024x768.

4MB of video RAM should give u 1024x768@32bpp. Also, if u have MS$ windows on the same machine, what is the maximum resolution that u can get on MS windows ?

Please post ur /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file here.

If the mandrake driver does not help, try the GATOS drivers from http://gatos.sourceforge.net/ .

I once wrote to XFree with a problematic ATI Radeon Mobility, they recommended that I do NOT use the GATOS drivers (which are what MDKs drivers are based on, as far as I know). Rather get drivers from dri.
The problem is asking XFree86 folks about GATOS will not get u a favorable response. Many users actually wanted the GATOS drivers and thats why mandrake chose to include them. The idea is to use drivers that work. Also, note that GATOS drivers use the same DRI base as XFree86. Regarding, the resolution problem, I would first disable DRI since 4MB is hardly enough memory for DRI.

Guest adamsjw2

Hi all,

It doesn't appear that the driver for my card is at either of the above mentioned sites. I'm hoping that the chipset on the card might be similar to another card with the same chipset, but I cracked the case and there's nothing on the motherboard other than ATI on the on-board chip. When I return home, I'll post my xf86config. Would it be possible to use the drivers from the SUSE distro with Mandrake?

Also, ndeb what do you mean disable DRI?

Finally, I'm not terribly interested in 1024x768 at max depth, I'd prefer 800x600 at 16bpp.

TIA

Jim

Guest adamsjw2

Hi all,

What follows is the display section of my xf86config-4 file, but first, According to my monitor's specification the Video Bandwidth is 65mhz and the flicker free setting for 800x600 is 75mhz. I don't see anywhere in the config to put these values. I wonder if that would help:

Section "Monitor"

Identifier "monitor1"

VendorName "MAG Technology Co., Ltd."

ModelName "MAG DX1495"

HorizSync 30.0-50.0

VertRefresh 50.0-100.0

# Sony Vaio C1(X,XS,VE,VN)?

# 1024x480 @ 85.6 Hz, 48 kHz hsync

ModeLine "1024x480" 65.00 1024 1032 1176 1344 480 488 494 563 -hsync -vsync

# TV fullscreen mode or DVD fullscreen output.

# 768x576 @ 79 Hz, 50 kHz hsync

ModeLine "768x576" 50.00 768 832 846 1000 576 590 595 630

# 768x576 @ 100 Hz, 61.6 kHz hsync

ModeLine "768x576" 63.07 768 800 960 1024 576 578 590 616

EndSection

Section "Device"

Identifier "device1"

Driver "vesa"

Option "DPMS"

EndSection

Section "Screen"

Identifier "screen1"

Device "device1"

Monitor "monitor1"

DefaultColorDepth 16

Subsection "Display"

Depth 8

Modes "800x600" "640x480"

EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"

Depth 15

EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"

Depth 16

EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"

Depth 24

EndSubsection

EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"

Identifier "layout1"

InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"

InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"

Screen "screen1"

EndSection

Also, ndeb what do you mean disable DRI?

U have to remove any Load "dri" statement in the Module section. But thats not needed since u r using the vesa driver as per:

Section "Device" 

Identifier "device1" 

Driver "vesa" 

Option "DPMS" 

EndSection 

The generic vesa driver does not support DRI.

Also, ur screen section has no 1024x768 at all !! U should add that mode in ur screen section and then see if u get 1024x768. So replace each:

with
Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"

Basically, ur system is behaving normally, given ur X settings. Also, ur system is not using any ATI driver at all. So none of ur difficulties are related to DRI, GATOS or XFree86 ATI drivers.

Guest adamsjw2

ndeb,

Thanks I'll make the suggested changes and report back. I found on the Dell site a driver for this card but it is for RH 6.1. I tried to use this one and it didn't work at all. The error was "can't find device.....etc..."

Thanks again,

Jim

found on the Dell site a driver for this card but it is for RH 6.1. I tried to use this one and it didn't work at all. The error was "can't find device.....etc..."
Thats not surprising because its fashionable to claim "linux support" these days. The idea is to put out some junk and make tall claims.

Anyway, since u r using the vesa driver, don't bother with any ATI-specific driver from any of these sources:

1. Stock driver from mandrake-9.0

2. Original XFree driver from ftp://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/4.2.1/b...ux-ix86-glibc22

3. Driver from http://gatos.sourceforge.net/ati.2.php

4. Closed source driver supplied by ATI ( http://mirror.ati.com/support/drivers/linu...ee&cmdNext=Next )

Guest adamsjw2

ndeb,

I added the 1024x768 to the approrpriate line and I am getting this resolution without any problems. I've decided to keep this setting and use the KDE & Gnome configuration utilities to increase font size, icon size, etc., and this is working to my satisfaction.

I'm going to build another machine soon and I will do so with "certified" hardware. But, as I've said in other places, tinkering with this system trying to get the modem to work correctly and now the video card has provided me with invaluable learning.

Jim

• 8 months later...