Will you be installing 10.2/ Limited Edition2k5?

VeeDubb

I plan on grabbing a copy of Suse 9.3 I have a palm, ipod and a pvr card that I have been trying link crazy to get to work on 10.1 and cant seem to get any working. I did install 10.2 rc2 and got the ipod to work half way but that's it. I am relying on Suse 9.3 to live up to its claim that it will work with the ipod out of the box. I have also used 9.2 and it worked with the palm right after installation.

So my issue comes down to peripheral usability.

Im with ya....

I actually considered that OR just raw debian or gentoo (2005).

If I have to live with crap like the wizards I mightest well have crap that works ... i.e. YAST.

This is largely a point I have been making elsewhere that seems anti-mandrivel but its just that if I comprimise on by morals and install something with non standard config tools/hacked locations etc. suse is streets ahead...

To me its better than using Windows but not really what linux is about for me ,and MDK just comes in with their present policy as a watered down suse.

I know if I install Gentoo I have lots of hacking.... but I have 100% choice... and the same with debian ... Suse 9.1 did a lot out of the box and getting my unsupported PDA to work only involves adding a line to the modules.conf...

etc-update or update-modules (depending if its deb or gentoo)

and a line for bluetooth and ....

so my honest feeling is why comprimise and get something I hate (distro specific config tools that break the real tools or hand editing) and not go the whole hog.

The difference is when it doesn't work in gentoo or debian its just a matter of hacking but in Mandrake/Suse you have the problem of wanrings against using linuxconf or webmin etc. and suse even tells you not to hand edit.

these YAST/Wizards are fine until they don't work then its 10x the work in my experience as doing it in a minial diostro to start out.

YAST seems far more robust than DRAKE wizards... (IMVLE) very limited experience but I just couldn't live with Suse being such a bitch to customise....

So in the end I just don't see the point....

My next distro will likely be FC3... simply from curiousity and because Ubuntu was a pleasant surprise!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Adriano1

I've been using FC3 for the last month or so. I don't think Mandrake 10.2 has anything to envy from it. FC4, on the other hand, will include OO.o 2, KDE 3.4 and GNOME 2.10, so that's something to think about... It's a solid distro, and using fedorafaq.org to step through all the gotchas you will have your distro ready in no time. As for me, I think I'm coming back to drake. yum and some other stuff have gotten me cranky.

Does anyone one know what parts of Connectiva are going to be added to LE2005 (Limited Edition 2005) or future releases? Because my 10.1 is rock stable and i don't plan to upgrade unless some new kick-butt features are to be added. If you know what features are to be added let us know. :D

:thanks:

shadowchaser: there's really nothing from Conectiva in 2005, that process starts with 2006. There's lots of shiny, shiny new things though. Come on...stare at the shiny things...be tempted...:)

personally, I'm already running 2005 on all my systems and very happy with it (but of course he would say that, wouldn't he?!)

adriano: yeah, I have no idea what's going on with that penguin. The image got changed, I dunno why it still shows up with the bootsplash, maybe bootsplash doesn't use the correct image symlink or something. I still have it too but I just figured that was because I didn't regenerate my initrd. *confused headscratch*

oh, and one final thing - if you want to avoid tinkering to make things work, and your 'things' include MP3s and DVDs, think twice about SUSE. Not spreading FUD here, it's a fine distro, but unfortunately they have a conservative legal department and so their media apps don't play MP3s (except RealPlayer) and are hacked not to play DVDs even if you replace libdvdcss (AFAIK, some people dispute this). So if you want to play MP3s and DVDs in Kaffeine you're going to have to find an alternative package source (I hear packman is the one to use) and rip out half your KDE packages, which I guess counts as tinkering. Stupid patent laws.

Well, that settles that, I'll never use suse. And too bad too, that was on my list of things to try if 2006 was too 'transitional' for me.

I still just can't decide if I'll install 2k5 or not. I guess I just wait and see what the general populous thinks after the official release. (Official according to funk and wagnel, not oe/ce)

after using suse for a long time, it has definitely become a no no for me. mandrake always worked on my boxes sooner or later (most times out of the box). i will give 2005 a try but i am not quite sure if i should keep mandrake as secondary distro or if i will run debian or slackware.... if le2005 does the job i expect it to do, then it will most likely stay on my box. we will see. :)

Can someone please tell what are the biggest benefits/changes in 10.2?

I had 10.2rc2 installed for some 4 days or so, but didn't notice any ermmm noticable difference from 10.1 apart from some nonessential changes in mcc

p.s. I very like that crazy penguin face. I'm considering making it my boot background on 10.1 (with 2005 text changed to 10.1)

Well, there's supposed to be a fix for usb memory media with no partition table, that will make my life better.

As always, there's a new kernel, with better hardware support (or so we're told)

There's a newer version of kde, and in my experience, when it comes to kde, newer is always better.

As for the non-essencial updates to the mcc, well, what is or isn't essential, varries from person to person. What may be totaly useless to you, may allow the next guy to finaly get his home network up and running.

You are right about that mcc, I agree.

p.s. My version of KDE is newer than that of 10.2 :P

p.s. my special extremely Linux non-friendly flash card reader didn't work on 10.2 too, but I didn't tinker with the configs much, so maybe I could get it to work on 10.2

thanx!

THe card reader problem and subsequent fix, won't help with a non-linux friendly. The problem is that with a good reader and a good card, mandrake won't automount the cards if they are formated in the windows style. As in, if it has no partition table.

If your card reader isn't linux friendly, I'd suggest a new card reader. They're not exactly spendy.

There were substantial changes in Cooker last week that greatly improved card reader/mass storage compatibility. My Sandisk card reader now automatically mounts and unmounts when I insert and remove a CF card. The drawback is that instead of mounting to /mnt/removable, the mount point is now based on the volume label of the media. This means that every media card has a different mount point, making it necessary to define a new GPhoto2 device in Digikam/GThumb/whatever for every CF card I own.

hmm, thanx

is it probable that mdk could become unstable if I use the 2.6.8.1-24 kernel instead of 2.6.11 ?

(I need that older kernel)

or are the cooker changes related to the new kernel?

Edited by solarian