Will you be installing 10.2/ Limited Edition2k5?

VeeDubb

There's already a lot of threads about the direction of mandriva, the new name, the new release cycle, and so one. I'm just curious how many of you plan on upgrading and how many plan on staying with 10.1 and why, if there's a reason.

Right now I'm realy not sure if i will or not.

The one hting that might make me install it, is that I have on good authority, that they have been working very hard to correct a bug that kept USB memory pens and card readers from being automaticaly mounted if they were formatted without a partition table, and that bug may well be fixed in the upcoming release.

On the other hand, my system is pretty stable right now. Plus, I just went through all the trouble of upgrading to kde 3.4, which I don't believe 10.2 will have, so Ill have to either stay with 3.3 or upgrade again. Also, while I think they're heading the right way, I'm nervous about anything labled as 'transitional', and the same applies to 2k6

So, what do you guys think

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 10.2 on one of my systems now and it looks quite good and seems fairly stable. My main system is in limbo between 10.1 and Debian Sarge and/or possible Ubuntu. My 10.1 is very solid and does all I need and I'm inclined to go with "if it ain't broke don't fix it." KDE 3.2 is fine for me. My main gripe with 10.1 is how slow evolution is. It is very quick in Sarge and Sarge is also KDE 3.3.2. So yes I will install LE 2K5 on some systems and keep 10.1 for now on my main one.

That's kind of where I am. As far as software is concerned, my system is realy stable. My processor is on it's way south, but what version of mandrake I run won't have any effect on that.

Of course, every time I try and use my wife's USB memory stick, I have to mount it manualy.

I think that will be a deciding factor for me. If that's fixed, I think I"ll upgrade, if not, I'm sticking with 10.1 until mandriva has a really compelling release.

I have installed limited edition 2005 10.2, already wiping out 10.1. 10.1 had consistent trouble with multiple usb devices, where 10.2 does not. The goofy screen with the whacked out starry eyed whatever is a bit extreme, but I got rid of it! B) Everything else seems stable; but I expected this from a ".2" release. The ".2's" are always good.

I plan on grabbing a copy of Suse 9.3 I have a palm, ipod and a pvr card that I have been trying link crazy to get to work on 10.1 and cant seem to get any working. I did install 10.2 rc2 and got the ipod to work half way but that's it. I am relying on Suse 9.3 to live up to its claim that it will work with the ipod out of the box. I have also used 9.2 and it worked with the palm right after installation.

So my issue comes down to peripheral usability.

probably not as i will try sticking with arch for the meantime. mandy keeps on spoon feeding me and i cant learn as much if im being spoonfed. :(

case in point. i want to create a 11GB partition which im going to use as a staging area for DVD writing. i fired up arch, used cfdisk to create a new logical partition with type 82 (i cant find 83 which is supposed to be the type code of reiserfs), then saved the changes.

after dropping back to root console i cant for the life of me create a reiserfs partition because it says it cant stat the partitions (/dev/hda21). i tried using mkfs.ext3 with the same result. bottomline, i rebooted to mandrake and recreated the partition it using diskdrake.

im pathetic :wall:

so i am not upgrade mandrake as long as i can bear.

ciao!

Guest Adriano1

I'm testing 10.2 RC2 and so far it looks really nice, reminds me a lot of 9.2 which was by far one of the best Mandrake releases. I'm installing this as my main distro.

Apart from the crazy penguin which, nevermind adamw, is still there at boot and at shutdown.

In terms of stability and functionality, I really like 9.2 also. It was my third mandrake, and the first that didn't require any real work after install. Everything just worked. Of course, I continued to update, for the features.

With so much going on at mandrake, for better or for worse, I'm really curious to see what this release does. AND what 2k5 does.

I think its finally time for me to explore something else. I am thinking of Suse to avoid having to tinker to make things work... or maybe PC Linux for its familarity with Mandrake... or maybe even Kubuntu being the latest rage and all.

I'll definetely will upgrade my desktop from 10.1 to LE2k5. There are some apps of which I could not get the newest versions to run properly on my 10.0. They are in LE2k5 and my tests with RC1 were so positive that that made up my mind.

I already tried 10.2rc2, but I installed back to 10.1, because the 10.2 kernel is not yet supported by VMware (and I need vmware), so my plan is to skip 10.2 and wait for the next Mandriva release.

p.s. I don't want to install an older kernel on 10.2 because I fear stability issues and stability is quite important for me because of all the shitload of data on my hd's.

As for the apps.. I have installed Gimp-2.2 and KDE-3.4 on 10.1, so I don't need 10.2 for that (I know, it has KDE3.3.2, but also xorg by def.)

Edited by solarian