Pop3 and IMAP slow response help

steward75

Hi

Right, I have since tried this on two further machines, with the same result. I have now tried with net adapters from three different manufacturers.

Currently I have it running on a VM. I have observed the following:

Telnet 192.168.20.3 143 --> I dont see the string from the IMAP server for about 30 seconds. IP is IP of local nic on linux box and I am entering commands from monitor/keyboard attatched to the back of the box.

Telnet localhost 143 --> I see the IMAP prompt instantly < 0.5 secs.

Whats the difference?? I assume that the former bounces off the nic? What the hek could be causing this?

Nigel

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use realtek card (both the 8169 and 8139) and have no problems whatsoever.

I'm willing to bet its a distro thing (the way mandriva have configured pam/auth what ever it is)

Have you tried installing a different distro inside a vm?

serach google for " xinetd imap delays "

one result=

top result

QUOTE:

This problem has been showing up quite frequently on systems which use xinetd instead of inetd. Look for files named /etc/xinetd.conf, /etc/xinetd.d/imapd, /etc/inetd.d/ipop2d, and /etc/xinetd.d/ipop3d. In those files, look for lines containing "USERID", e.g. log_on_success += USERID

edit file:

/etc/xinetd.d/imapd

delay is gone

• 2 weeks later...

@ DDMCE

I already tried that, no effect! (My 9.1 installation required the same)

@ ianw1974

I am using Mandriva 2006 (10.2) so I can confirm that it occurs on this. I dont know whether same issues exist on Mandriva 10.1

Eventually, I gave up trying to fix this, and installed courier-imap instead. This worked out of the box with no delays and no issues. I was left with only sshd using xinetd, so I am now using the stand-alone version of sshd, and have disabled xinetd entirely.

The once remaining issue that I am left with is slow login over SSH (works fine at the console). Over SSH there is a 15 second delay before I get a prompt after entering my password.

Nigel