Pop3 and IMAP slow response help

steward75

Alright I have a rather perplexing situation here.... I have a computer running Mandrake (or is it ManDRIVA since it's still version 10.1? hmmmm) 10.1 as a web and mail server, and I'm having issues with my POP3 and IMAP services on it. Oh, and I have it set up thru one of those great free domain hosting services because I'm cheap, so my setup is blahblahblah.freedns.org or one of those similar. And this server sits behind my router which I have the POP3 and IMAP ports forwarded to it no problem.

Whenever I try to connect to my server with my email client (and I have it set to go out to the internet and connect thru the free hostname) it takes FOREVER (like a full minute or so) for the server to respond with a POP3 type "welcome and please sign on" kind of deals. This goes for the same with IMAP, takes a bit before the inital response. NOW here's the kicker, SENDING email goes out INSTANTLY. And to verifiy that it wasn't just my email client, I also tried telneting into the server, both POP3 and IMAP, and both took a bit to respond. and when I would telnet into the SMTP server it went thru instantly.

Now I just had a friend do it for me thru her telnet and she said it came up instantly for the POP3 (which means it's going to do the same for IMAP) so it has something to do with the computers behind my router and my router.... I have a Netgear Router if that will help anyone.

I checked the logs, the logs dont seem to report anything out of the ordinary(unless I'm not reading the correct log)

Any help on how to speed up this pop3 server response time would be appreciated...

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you'd probably be better off going through your internal IP address instead of using the hostname. most routers won't even allow that type of loopback, it's odd that it even works at all to be completely honest.

• 9 months later...

Hi

I have this issue as well, tried the last posters suggestion with zero success. I have 3 imap accounts. It takes 20-30 seconds to get the ruddy email for each of them. There are about 10 imap folders in total.

Tailing the logs (error, warn, info and messages) I see no errors while its trying to poll for email, just *very very* slow logins.

I have moved to 10.2 from 9.1 The same imap/postfix config in 9.1 was *instant* zero delays.

If I cant get 10.2 to behave in the same way then I am gonna have to go back to 9.1 (or 9.2 perhaps). Its madness that it went out with this as the default. Its currently unusable.

Other issues are that 10.2 logs imap users out 10 seconds after each email poll. Meaning 60 second delay to re-poll.

Sending mail is also slow, and logging into 10.2 is incredibly slow (30 seconds delay after entering password)

This is the default config...

I have swapped back in my old 9.1 harddisk on the same hardware with the same client and all the problems go away.

Madness....

Nigel

Any help on how to speed up this pop3 server response time would be appreciated...

When you access it completely externally like your friend, is it OK?

I mean not using your home network to test it, but from a different location.

Hi

Whether I am sat at home with a laptop connected to the linux box via a crossover cable, or am at work accessing linux box over the internet it is very very slow.

I have isolated the issue down to a pure imap/pop issue for instance, updating my inbox is quick, updating imap folders is what takes the time.

Does anyone have imap on 10.2 working well (zero delay to sync folders??)

Nigel

what email client are you using ?

i just finished installing servers this morning on 10.2 2005LE . i haven't noticed how email is working yet . i'll let you know.

i did run into this problem a while back but i forget what took care of it.

when you send out email you're not really sending through your mandrake smtp right ?

i mean when you are at work you send out via their outgoing smtp . you'll find your email getting rejected if you send out via your smtp and are behind/connected to an ISP because that is relaying, and if it works every spammer in the world will be sending out from your smtp server

Edited by ddmcse

when you send out email you're not really sending through your mandrake smtp right ?

i mean when you are at work you send out via their outgoing smtp . you'll find your email getting rejected if you send out via your smtp and are behind/connected to an  ISP because that is relaying, and if it works every spammer in the world will be sending out from your smtp server

not true .. a properly setup host will allow smtp sending, and controller spammer thruogh other means.

I have smtp wide open to the world, and have smtp-auth and pop-before-smtp setup so that spammers can't use me.

If you're like me (which most people aren't :) ) you might also setup TLS/SSL certificates for your smtp/imap/pop3 server.

By default Mandrake/Mandriva uses uw-imap for a mail server which is wrapped with xinet.d

Each folder is a file on the file system (typically called mbox) .. its a real pain, and gets worse if you start keeping large mailboxes.

You can change (courier or cyrus) ...

I've just changed my server to cyrus, where each message is a seperate file, and every 5 mins the entire message database for every user is indexed .. so when syncing mail it is as close to instant as can be expected.

also searching through large mailboxes is hugely fast because there is an up to date index of each message (meaning when you search, you're actually search the seen.db not each message)

I would suggest you start looking elsewhere to find out what is slowing your process down.

What auth mechanism are you using? (probably pam)

if its taking you a longtime to log in to the terminal, then it almost definately pam.d slowing things down

I now know of two other people who have the same issues with mdk 10.2 - so I guess its a common issue with the base install.

When I installed, selected to shove usernames/passwords in a text file, the most basic case I guess (this was the default)

I dont know what pam is, or how to config it, or how to find out if thats what I am using!!!

Plugable auth models according to man page

If its failing/timing out why the hell does it not log this???

I have looked /etc/pam.conf for the option 'TakeBloodyAgesToAuthUsers = true' but I cant find said option!!!

Why on earth would mandriva make this the default?? dont make no sense! Never had this on 9.1 ...

Nigel

Edited by veletron

I'm not using mandrake .. but here's what I have just so you can compare

marie-leader paul # cat /etc/pam.d/pop3
# Provided by mailbase (dont remove this line!)
# Standard pam.d file for mail service packages.
# $Header: /var/cvsroot/gentoo-x86/net-mail/mailbase/files/common-pamd-include,v 1.1 2005/04/29 13:07:50 ticho Exp $

auth       required     pam_nologin.so
auth       include      system-auth
account    include      system-auth
session    include      system-auth
marie-leader paul #

My /etc/pam.d/imap file contains:

#%PAM-1.0

auth required pam_stack.so service=system-auth

account required pam_stack.so service=system-auth

The same file from my msk 9.1 installation contained:

#%PAM-1.0

auth required /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth

account required /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth

Which to all intents and purposes is the same.

auth       required     pam_nologin.so
auth       include      system-auth
account    include      system-auth
session    include      system-auth

note: I have completely disabled imap/pop3 system logins, hence the pam_nologin.so

here's my /etc/pam.d/login

auth       required     /lib/security/pam_securetty.so
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_nologin.so

account    required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth

password   required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth

session    required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth