5.1 Surround Sound Issues

jeremy1701

I have an ASUS "A7N8X-E Deluxe" mobo that has 5.1 surround sound card. I just got some Logitech 5.1 surround sound speakers. I'm running MDK 10.1 official. I can't seem to get the speakers working properly.

First off all, there's three outputs on the card, Center, Rear and Line-out (Which I assume should be Front?). When I run speaker-test -c 5.1 (or 5), Center and rear are switched and I get nothing from front. There's an option on kmix (kde front end to alsamix) that says "Duplicate Center", if I de-select that, then I get front and rear, but no center.

What do I need to do get this working in true 5.1?? I feel like my sound card is all messed up. Line in won't work at all, but Mic in does. I'd like to have both mic and line-in working. I feel like when I plug in the headphones in the front, the speakers should cut out, but they don't. Also, in Kmix and alasmix, my main volume slider doesn't work at all. In order to adjust the volume, I have to turn up PCM.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks,

Jeremy

I run the same motherboard with 10.2 / 2005; I had the sound working in 10.1 as well but I think the settings have changed since then (I remember after an ALSA update last month I had to go and mess about with my mixer settings). If you send me a private message to remind me, I'll send you my mixer settings when I'm back home, they may still help you, and they'll definitely help you if you update to 2005 when it comes out. :)

Adam,

You're file fixed a couple of my errors, but I still have the following issues:

when I run speaker-test -c 5.1, I get no center speaker at all.

Master volume doesn't work.

Have I done something wrong? Should I restart alsa after I do alsarestore? EDIT: I just restarted it. No go.

Thanks for your help!

Jeremy

Edited by jeremy1701

Well,

Here's where I'm at with getting the surround sound working:

I tried nvidia's drivers, they were actually worse then Alsa, so I switched back. I bought a splitter and now have both the center and fronts spliced together, just so that I can get sound out of the center speaker. speaker-test -c 5 (or 5.1) still gives me nothing out of the center, obviously, but at least I have a center (albiet setup like 4 channel).

It would seem that my center output just isn't working. I can't figure out why. I don't know that it ever worked, as I never had anything but Linux in it.

Also, kmix master volume still isn't working. Is that fixed in Mandriva 10.2?

Jeremy

I don't use kmix so I can't say whether that works, but in 2005 both the master and PCM volume sliders change volume correctly for me. BTW, I noticed yesterday I actually need different mixer settings to get correct 5.1 sound on native ALSA output and emulated OSS output; I've saved copies of both configurations, I'll try and remember to send them to you when I get home.

Gowator,

I don't have 3 tabs. I have only input and output. Of those, I've tried just about every possible combination of on/off I can, still nothing.

Adam,

That would be great. I'll give the new settings a try tonight, if you send me the files. I use Alsa (kmix is just the KDE front end to it), not OSS, although I tried OSS when I installed the nvidia driver.

I'll update to Mandriva 05 as soon as I can. Just have d/l and upgrade. BTW... How was the upgrade from MDK 10.1 to MDR 05?

Jeremy

jeremy: upgrades always vary from person to person. I don't do whole version updates, I run a rolling Cooker install, so I can't give you my experience, sorry!

BTW, I didn't mean different settings with ALSA and OSS drivers. When using ALSA you can either output natively through ALSA or just use old OSS-type output and ALSA's OSS emulation will pick it up. For instance, with mplayer, if you use:

mplayer -ao alsa blah.wav

you're using native ALSA output. If you use:

mplayer blah.wav

you're using OSS emulation. I need different mixer settings for each of _these_ two cases. With my first mixer configuration:

mplayer -ao alsa chan-id.wav

works, but:

mplayer chan-id.wav

has all the channels wrong. With my other configuration, it's the other way around. Hope it's clear now :)