Distro for a P133

Hi all,

Looking for a distro for an old P133 (Laptop), 24mb RAM 2gb HDD. KDE would be nice, as would be open office, but I think I'm going too far there :D

RPM based would be a plus, I'm using Mandrake 10.1 on the other laptop.

Final point is that it needs to be installed via 3.5" FDDS, or possibly from files on the HDD if I remove it & stick it in the desktop.

Thanks

-Leezer-

bfff... i have searched the database of distrowatch for a distro that might fit your basic needs (p133, 24mbram, rpm, fdd install) but i have not found even one. kde and Ooo is absolutely impossible with 24 mb (kde needs 84 mb ram minimum). sorry man. the only things you could try would be source based distros (an older version of slackware or lunar-linux, maybe rock-linux, linux-from scratch...) the closest thing you could use would be damn small linux and slackware. but i really don't know if you are up to this task. :unsure:

Oh well; Thanks for trying. Floppies aren't totally necessary, just convienient. I'll see what I can find elsewhere.

My first thought was actually Slackware- the zipped version, as that states that it'll run on 4mb plus :P

Advice on a Window manager would also be appreciated; Looking summat like Windows, or at least not too ugly :devil:

THANKS!

-Leezer-

i had taken a look at feather but i guess it is a live cd without install options.

talking about lightweight window managers: the most lightweight solutions with some windows-touch would be icewm and rox desktop. you could run icewm with rox filemanager, which uses only minimal ressources and is quite usable (with picture preview capabilities!).

i had taken a look at feather but i guess it is a live cd without install options.

I'm pretty sure that you can do a hard drive install (though I can't see no mention of it on the web site). We have it running on an old rot box at work - I honestly think we got it on a HDD install as opposed to leaving the CD in the tray. I can't remember so I will confirm this tommorow. I'll feedback tomorow nite.

Edited by ChrisM

I'm pretty sure that you can do a hard drive install (though I can't see no mention of it on the web site).  We have it running on an old rot box at work - I honestly think we got it on a HDD install as opposed to leaving the CD in the tray.  I can't remember so I will confirm this tommorow.  I'll feedback tomorow nite.

As I thought, we had done a HDD install using Feather.

To do so, load up your Live CD, right click the desktop/Enhancements & Extras/Install to hdd.

• 2 weeks later...

well.. yes and no... beatrix uses only minimal ressources compared to ubuntu (upon which it is based), but as it only ships with gnome, it will not run with 24 mb ram afaik. you will need at least 64 mb.

so i think the ram might be your biggest constraint. but unless your wm is lite, you're going to get the hurt put on. the hd restriction is fine, just be very conservative with installation of packages.

unless you're dying to use this machine, it might be worthwhile to look for another one....