Mandrake constantly freezes [solved]

Relix3000

I used to have constant lockups under Linux (and I mean any Linux) with older BIOS revisions of my MSI 865PE mainboard. Windoze weren't working perfectly either, but way better anyway.

Since the last BIOS revision they didn't appear again with any Linux I've toyed with.

I am a Linux n00b as well =P. Well, I was thinking of maybe trying Fedora, but it doesnt have an application installing tool like Mandrake or Debian have. I wouldnt like to forget MDK yet, its the best distro. Right now I am on the ugly WinXP because I kinda got annoyed of it crashing on me nearly every 20 hours. Does anyone else have a similar problem?

Anyway, since I like to solve these kind of problems I am going to be on it until i fix it. Could anyone guess if installing the NVIDIA driver would do fix it (it seems like the problem is the X-Server since the actual kernel is running, so the display manager must have the fault)?

Thanks for the dedicated help! This place rocks here =P.

I had the Exact same problem

Try going into the Control Centre, then "boot", then "boot loader".

You should see a few options below;

"Enable ACPI"

"Force no local APIC" and maybe "Force no APIC"

Anyway it's these options you should try enabling and disabling, as this was the only solution I found after Searching google for hours.

Currently I have "Enable ACPI" DISABLED, and "Force No Local APIC" ENABLED.

My System hasn't froze in months ;)

Edited by cwhobbes

Yeah, that's always a good idea. I was having the occasional 'random' freeze on my newish desktop (not entirely random, it would only ever happen after some sort of hardware event, usually a mouse click)...I turned ACPI and APIC off two days ago and it hasn't done it again yet. This kind of thing is notoriously difficult to track down, though, in extreme cases you need a kernel guru with something hooked up to the serial port...:)

Well, going to try the stuff you told me cwhobbes. This is because the motherboard is around year 2000 I think, since I saw the logs and it said the BIOS of it was too old or something like that. Anyway, I am trying that and Ill edit the post if it works or it doesnt.

*Edit: It looks, a problem ocurred. I did the exact settings as you hobbes, and when I rebooted my PC it stopped in Calibrating Size of something or similar thing. Thing is Mandrake wont boot. I tried to reinstall the boot loader but the problem is there. Failsafe worked but I have no clue on how to fix that from there. So...I am now stuck on WinXP till I fix that =P.*

Edited by Relix3000

Well, after many days fighting back, the problem has been finally solved! What was to blame? The NVIDIA GeForce 2 Mx400 card. In Windows I had no problems until a day ago when the same syntomps appeared on Windows. I plugged the card out and used the built-in graphic system...and no problems. On both of the OSes.

I really want to thank ALL the guys that helped me here, especially Adamw =). You really are a techie ;-). Thanks a lot and Ill be sure to hang around here and when I have enough knowledge help other guys the same way i was helped. Thanks a LOT!