After Installing Nvidia Driver,Kernl Source Update

FreeEagle

Hi Friends,

After installing successfully Mandrake Linux 10.1 Official , and downloading and installing all the Security, fault and normal Updates, i moved to install the Nvidia Driver, therefore i should install first of all the Kernl source, so i checked which kernel i have in order to install the correct Kernl source, i run this Command to see what i have:

[nawar@freeeagle]$ rpm -qa | grep kernel

kernel-source-2.6-2.6.8.1-12mdk

so i installed this source :

kernel-2.6.8.1.12mdk-1-1mdk

and then installed succefully the last Nvidia Driver and updated my X11 confi. everything work well , and the Nvidia Logo appear at the Next Restart.

then i moved to do after that a new Update for the Whole System so i found that there is a Security Update, this appear after installing the Kernel Source , but the Problem it has this No.

kernel-source2.6-2.6.8.1-24mdk

and this is not the same No. of the Source Kernel that i installed, i have kernel-2.6.8.1.12mdk-1-1mdk and what the Update Manger shows me is kernel-source2.6-2.6.8.1-24mdk . The Question now is : Should i install this Kernl source Update although it has not the same No. that i have ... or what all this mean ??? Can anyone help me please with this.

Thanks in Advance,

FreeEagle

Seeing this kernel-source2.6-2.6.8.1-24mdk is an available update... means there is also a matching kernel that is also available. ( kernel-2.6.8.1.24mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm ) Kernels are hidden from showing in your add software lists but are there in the sources.

If you decide to install that update... you will also need to install the matching kernel and also will need to reinstall the nvidia driver.

As long as everything is running fine... I wouldn't worry about that update then.... especially if your not compiling anything except for that nvidia driver that you already installed and seem happy with.

I have never needed kernel-source for anything more than installing a nvidia driver myself. But then I also stick to the pre-made RPMs and avoid any cutting edge developer and cooker stuff.

yes, there are security fixes, so updating is a wise move. First use MandrakeUpdate to install the new kernel-source, then run rpmdrake and search for 'kernel', and you'll see a matching kernel rpm you can install. Now reboot. You'll have to re-do the nvidia installation, but after that, everything will be fine.

yes, there are security fixes, so updating is a wise move. First use MandrakeUpdate to install the new kernel-source, then run rpmdrake and search for 'kernel', and you'll see a matching kernel rpm you can install. Now reboot. You'll have to re-do the nvidia installation, but after that, everything will be fine.

Do you mean that i have to install Kernl 2.6-2.6.8.1-24mdk instead of kernel-2.6.8.1.12mdk-1-1mdk and then its source and after that have to install Nvidia driver and update my X11 Config. again?

Best Regards,

FreeEagle