suggest a distro for me to play with

Easy to install -> Ubuntu

Easy to install, more challenging to use -> Arch

Challenging to install (more just time consuming), challenging to use -> Gentoo

Those are my three favourite distros right now, I use Gentoo at home and Ubuntu on my box at work. Arch is also great, but I'm not using it for anything right now.

makes me feel i should try arch....

Ubuntu really is slick!

Debian (real is stable as hell but then so is ubuntu so far)

Gentoo... you already know....

slackware... is cool but on its way out...

If you want fun/working/speed and everything Ubuntu is kicking ass....

if anyone can tell me how to reverse the root thing I would be forever happy I think....

Haven't actually tried FC! cybrjackle wouldn't be raving unless it really was cool....

I just have an idea its going to be like RH... X.X which I always found to be behind but I guess thats just my prejudice and I should give it a go!

- Mepis

- Fedora Core 3

- Ubuntu

Heck, try them all!

I would only recommend SuSe if you want something stable and mature, something to stick with and if you're tired of digging deep into your distro... it's possible with SuSe, just not necessary :P

It works, but some people ("tweakers") might find it a bit boring distro. To me, however, it rocks!

Easy to install -> Ubuntu

Easy to install, more challenging to use -> Arch

Challenging to install (more just time consuming), challenging to use -> Gentoo

Those are my three favourite distros right now, I use Gentoo at home and Ubuntu on my box at work. Arch is also great, but I'm not using it for anything right now.

makes me feel i should try arch....

Ubuntu really is slick!

Debian (real is stable as hell but then so is ubuntu so far)

Gentoo... you already know....

slackware... is cool but on its way out...

If you want fun/working/speed and everything Ubuntu is kicking ass....

if anyone can tell me how to reverse the root thing I would be forever happy I think....

Haven't actually tried FC! cybrjackle wouldn't be raving unless it really was cool....

I just have an idea its going to be like RH... X.X which I always found to be behind but I guess thats just my prejudice and I should give it a go!

With Ubuntu's root account - I think all I had to do was "passwd root"... and that enabled the root account and I could su after that... if memory serves me correctly.

I have tried FC for a few minutes before ditching it for Ubuntu at work. IMO it's bloated and I didn't like yum much. Also had problems installing (although I suspect it was a problem with one of the cds, not Fedora's fault as such).

Arch is cool, it's so easy to install, but that is just the basic system. As with Gentoo, you then need to build it up with X, etc. Decent distro, but if I want easy I use Ubuntu and if I Want power/stability/perplexity :P I go with Gentoo.

fc4-test2 comes out today, (you can find it on mirrors already) ;-)

If you want to test a distro ripped with gcc-4.0, SELinux, ext3 online resize/lvm, Xen.......blah blah blah, the list goes on.

FYI, the devel's for yum are doing non-stop work and it is becoming really fast on my rawhide box. One cool thing is you can use "yum shell" ex.

yum shell
> update
> transaction solve
<some error occurs here>
> exclude package-that-causes-error
> update
> transaction solve
<no errors>
> run
> quit

Pretty handy little add-on

Fc4'ish now inculdes opensource java tools too.

Edited by cybrjackle

With Ubuntu's root account - I think all I had to do was "passwd root"... and that enabled the root account and I could su after that... if memory serves me correctly.

Yep but its the fact it wants my password for sudo or whatever not the root one.

Im always typing the root one then remembering...

Well, I'm prettywell armed now if i get itchey between release. I'm not intereted in something that is only cli or gnome, so ubuntu is out, but kubuntu looks good, and I can't help but be curious about fc4, and some of the others that are realy not well known, Might be fun to try something that hardly anybodie's heard of.

I've been playing with Kubuntu for the past few days and find it buggy, esp the KDE 3.4 stuff. A bunch of annoyances, such as having to edit the kde files to allow root login so you can use Adminsistrator mode. For some reason it did not detect my printer on another linux box (running 10.2RC). Debian Sarge is definitely first class.

Yep but its the fact it wants my password for sudo or whatever not the root one.

Im always typing the root one then remembering...

su yourself and then do "passwd"

One of the niggles with Ubuntu... unless you like using the sudo command.