suggest a distro for me to play with

Okay. I like mandriva (hate the name, love the distro)

Anyway, I'll be getting the final of MDK Limited Edition 2005 and installing it as soon as it comes out, but from what I can see, it's not what mandrake says it is. They keep calling it a "transitional release' but as far as I can tell, it's just 10.2 renamed, the real transitional release will be Mandriva Linux 2006. It will be and 8 month release, so not 6 or 12, and it will be the first to include any new tech from conectiva.

Now, I'll use 10.2, and I'll use 2007 when it rolls around, but I doubt very seriously I'll be interested in Mandriva2k6. Now, I know me, and I know I'll get itchy waiting 20 months in between new distros. So, what would you guys reccomend? (8months from 2k5 -2k6 +12 for 2k6-2k7 = 20 months)

Reasonable stability is a must, but I'm not freaky about it. IU just don't want some beta quality garbage. I also figure if I do play with something else, it should be very different from mandrake.

I've thought about Gentoo or lfs, just because I kind of like the idea of comiling everything, but I'm concerned about downloading every litle thing. I'm only 256k DSL. Not exactly blazing. I've also thought about SUSE (it sounds nice) or linspire just for the laughs.

My first distro was Lycoris and I have intention of going back there.

Anyway, if you have anyuthing constructive, fire away.

Well, if you dont mind editing the config files to get things running, you could run Arch Linux. The config files are clean and well explained, It's up to date, and has a lot of documentation on the wiki.

There's always Fedora or Ubuntu if you're looking for a slightly more friendly experience, everyone seems to rave about Ubuntu these days, it seems to be the in thing. From what I have seen it's very clean and well maintained.

Fedora just has to be mentioned. I *still* havnt used it, though I will probably download and burn FC4. Either way - cybrjackle reccomends it :P FC4 is looking*very* interesting.

There's always Debian, Sarge (Testing) or Sid (Unstable)

The word is that Sarge is going to be frozen soon, so that it can become the new Stable. It's a *very* stable option. Use the installer at: http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/ Ubuntu uses a modified version of this and its really good. That installer will also do unstable, (which isnt really unstable, its just the latest of everything)

Meh... use anything... there's tooo many to detail!

Edited by iphitus

Fedora just has to be mentioned. I *still* havnt used it, though I will probably download and burn FC4. Either way - cybrjackle reccomends it :P FC4 is looking*very* interesting.

:headbang:

If you want to try a real distro, wait tell FC4 comes out and be blown away.

:beer:

Oh and CentOS.org is another good one.

Edited by cybrjackle

Easy to install -> Ubuntu

Easy to install, more challenging to use -> Arch

Challenging to install (more just time consuming), challenging to use -> Gentoo

Those are my three favourite distros right now, I use Gentoo at home and Ubuntu on my box at work. Arch is also great, but I'm not using it for anything right now.

well... it really depends on what you want to do with the box. are you more of a kde or gnome or fluxbox type os user? do you like to hack scripts and config files or do you a fast and easy to install system?

there are so many options... if you are going for distro speed, lots of compiling from source and hacking config files, then i'd say go for slackware, vector, gentoo or arch. if you know hungarian, you might want to try frugalware :D

for the simplistic desktops with some config tools, there is e.g. xfld (a xfce4.2 based version of knoppix) or damn small linux.

if you are a gnome guy, then my recommendation is ubnutu or you could try the brand new foresightlinux (haven't tested it yet). for kde... well.. mepis is an option, kanotix also. and progenic debian sounds interesting, too...

ah... go to distrowatch and roll dices. :D

Edited by arctic

Guest cydermaster

Ubuntu is well worth playing with - very good support from the comunity in the forums. Another worth looking at (for a laugh) is Dyne:Bolic

dyne:bolic? what is so strange with the distro that it makes you laugh? i never ran it but i am getting interested in it now. somehow, i have a faible for strange distros. i could name a few that were more than disappointing :cheesy: