Hats Off to Adamw! Read if u r a newbie like me!

aspguru

HATS OFF to AdamW! This is the best post I've ever seen. I know it's like mdk 101 to most people, but I didn't know it before. For newbies like me, install easy urpmis can really drag u out of the "rpm hell" situaition. I got all the neede devel and software installed. It's working great for me! Thanks a million.

link to easy-urpmi:http://www.mandrakeusers.org/easyurpmi/

Below is his answer to my original post. I really think it deserves a new topic. Sorry to boter others.

-------------------

I'd suggest you wipe the heck out of all the packages you've downloaded and go back to basics. Remove all your urpmi media (urpmi.removemedia -a) , go to Easy URPMI, tell it you have 10.1 Official and want a main media and a contrib media, run the commands it gives you, and type 'urpmi libxorg-x11-devel' as root. Now 'urpmi kernel-source'. Now install the nvidia driver.

We don't install -devel packages by default because most users don't need them. This is why we split them up in the first place; the majority of MDK users never compile a program and thus never have any need for the stuff in the -devel packages, thus by splitting them out we can save a lot of space on their hard disks and our release CDs. (You're not getting anywhere _near_ all of MDK on 3 CDs, and you still can't quite squeeze the whole thing on one DVD, IIRC, so space is at something of a premium).

--------------------

Pinned it for some couple of days - Artificial Intelligence

Edited by Artificial Intelligence