Man-Puke

Guest brk3

now let me see here,

we have Mandrake and we have Connectiva mmmmmmmmm...

so we have a choice of mandriva or CONDRAKE? (i know there are lots of others possible)

like "connectdrake" but that just sounds like a mandrake utility eh?

as a company i think the former would be a better name !

i would not like my company name to have the word "CON" in it anywhere :cheeky:

a year from now you won't care what its called, just as long as the products stay at the same level of competence for what you need.

regards

reb2

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh its just a name, forget it, they arent going to change, and no matter what you think, changing a name is a complex process.

not only do they have to change the website and the like, the business name needs to be changed with the government and countless other changes need to be done.

its not changing back, its not changing to someone else. instead of whining, go compile a new kernel and forget about it all :D

arctic: well, Lindows had a community vote when they lost their trademark suit, and came up with Linspire. Which, of course, everybody loved instantly!

yes, but they offered a preselection of names afaik. and they did not ask the community when they named it lindows first, or are my informations somewhat faulty? :unsure:

When it comes down to it most OS names are stupid:

windows, fedora, AIX, slackware, vector, ubutnu.......

Very few of them actually make sense when you're thinking about an OS. I guess apple are on to something with Mac OS X 10.x - but then I would say that, I'm turning into a zealot.

I like most names -- at least they're not boring and plain like... Microsoft, or IBM, or HP for example. Or *BSD

Linspire, Red Hat and fedora are great, SuSE, Ubuntu is kickass for a name. Even Sun Solaris is an alright name. Or Google :D

Mandrake was up there too, Mandriva, well it's better then *bsd or Microsoft :P

You know.. when I was still distro-hopping (back in 1998 or so), it seems that every Linux distro I tried was weird sounding. I mean Slackware, does that mean it makes you a slacker? Red Hat, what does that have to do with an Operating System? Mandrake, hmm.. is it poisonous? Suse.. Say what? And so on and so on.

But then I stop nitpicking and just stay with Mandrake :)

Guest ruse21

I don't really know if my opinion counts here or not, being so new. However, I first decided to try Linux about a year ago. I looked around at the distros and chose Slackware, because it had the best name of all the distros. After about three weeks of frustrations I quit. Roughly a year later (about a month ago) a friend told me about Mandrake. It is absolutely great. My XP computer hasn't been booted in weeks! Then I hear they are changing the name. No big deal. As long as it works as good as it does (and hopefully keeps getting better) I am not going to run to some other distro. They all have goofy names. What is everyone worried about, that the other OS diehards will make fun of you. Whatever. Grow up.