Man-Puke

Guest brk3

Greetings MANDRAKE users. I know there are already some threads on this topic, but I just want to make my opinion known for once. Also, the more outrage there is, the more likely the idiot in charge of the decision will make ammends:

I couldnt beleive it when I got the email. Mandriva?? What the hell were they thinking. I didnt even think twice when I saw it, it just has that poxy feeling about it. Such an unprofessional, sad name. The only thing thats kept me sane is the fact that the rest of the community seems to hate it too.

(I personnally like the comments about it sounding like a tropical STD :mr-green: )

It seems like Mandrake as a company are constantly ignoring their users. I myself changed because I was sick and tired of waiting for KDE 3.4/Gnome 2.8.

Il finish up before this turns into a rant but all I can say is 2 things:

1. Bump if you hate Mandriva.

2. Head for ubuntulinux.org :mr-green:

Peace.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ubuntu is slightly silly a name as well, and IMO it has not improved Debian at all, as the initial intention was. Rebuilding a lot of KDE modules just to get MP3 support is definitely NOT a "Debian improvement"... I could use Linux from scratch and get to the same result instead.

Guest nadirk

Hi,

I Don't mean to be sexist or anything (this is my opinion) but think about it.....

MANDRAKE... then ... MANDRIVA...

It sounds like a sex change..... :screwy:

Guest brunog
Hi,

I Don't mean to be sexist or anything (this is my opinion) but think about it.....

MANDRAKE... then ... MANDRIVA...

It sounds like a sex change..... :screwy:

Indeed Mandrake sounds male. Conectiva sounds female.

Mandriva: not quite a gender change , it does not sound female nor male,

but indeed as you say sex "changist": its sounds like a transexual or a travesty... boooooh

Huge amounts of shame on Mdk "marketing" dept...

(no kidding, maybe THEY are travesty? well they may like the name, but personaly I am not a travesty and such a name does repulse me... heee...)

Edited by brunog

hey, what are you discussing? the name? for what? they won't change it again because of you. :P and as long as the distro works the way it should... who cares about a name?

btw.: silly names...

ubuntu, suse (software und systemelektronik), mepis, kanotix, knoppix, ip-cop... these and a lot of other names are also stupid in one respect or the other. :D

who cares really about the name? doesnt matter what the name is, as long as it is linux, Im no t using linux because of its distro name, im using it because of how it works. I like mandrake because I am able to install it to almost pc here n my place, even without the internet connection, i've been able to install the common needs of a regular pc user.. so now Mandriva, i will still continue to use it.. because it is still linux

"who cares really about the name?"

Lots of people.

"Ubuntu really is a stupid name."

No its not, your just saying that for the sake of saying it. It actually has a meaning and is not just a lame crossbreed of two names that someone who has no marketing sense came up with.

"Hey, what are you discussing? the name? for what? they won't change it again because of you."

Other distros would. You have just exactly backed up my point, they wont listen to their communtity.

Im not trying to argue here, I just really hate that name. I think it was a very bad decision for such a good distro to make.

It going to be hard to stick with Mandrake with Stupid name they are giving it. I know what is important, is what's inside the software not the name. BUT the name is so crappy that it competely turns me away from it! :angry: Once again WHAT THE HELL ARE THEY THINKING!! who knows maybe they'll change there mind..

-Shadowchaser

"who cares really about the name?"

Lots of people.

if you are talking about windows users, then definitely yes. :P

"Ubuntu really is a stupid name."

No its not, your just saying that for the sake of saying it. It actually has a meaning and is not just a lame crossbreed of two names that someone who has no marketing sense came up with.

sorry, but ubuntu IS a stupid name. "humanity to others..." why not call it something like "pancakes for others" or "handshakes for everyone"? c'mon... good distro, stupid name. not to mention Kubuntu :lol2:

"Hey, what are you discussing? the name? for what? they won't change it again because of you."

Other distros would. ...

show me only one distro that did that. i am a linux developer myself and i haven't seen any distro doing that. neither suse nor slackware, not arch, vector, caldera, xandros, pld,... ;)