I'm fed up with Mandrake!!!

aspguru

I did not read the whole thread, not even the whole first post. Yet I noticed one thing I have to agree with:

Since Mdk 10.0, some programs on the 3-download-CD set are included without their -devel part, even though they should have one.

IMO, this is a major annoyance for people without internet access.

Yves.

domtar: the only thing you need to build drivers is kernel-source, which _is_ on the CDs now I think (though it fell off temporarily for 10.0, IIRC). You don't actually need any xorg devel stuff to build drivers, I think the OP was just getting it pulled in by the wacky RPMs he was trying to install.

yinyeti: as I said, most people DON'T NEED the -devel packages. You only need libfoo-devel if you want to build software that links against libfoo. Most of our users don't build stuff, and those who do can generally cope with using Easy URPMI. If we add -devel packages for every library that's on the CDs, we have to drop a bunch of programs people actually *run*, and there's enough complaints about things that don't make it to the CDs as it is.

domtar: the only thing you need to build drivers is kernel-source, which _is_ on the CDs now I think (though it fell off temporarily for 10.0, IIRC). You don't actually need any xorg devel stuff to build drivers, I think the OP was just getting it pulled in by the wacky RPMs he was trying to install.

kernel-source and its devel dependencies is what I was referring to

I didn't know or don't know if it is now included or not and was just stating it should be, but that's obvious.

Guest Adriano1

Not even the kernel. What if you want to compile a newer kernel without installing it first? I don't think anything prevents you from doing it.

Yeah, I don't think kernel-source depends on or requires anything significant. In any case, it's on the CDs now, which means all its dependencies are as well (the CDs are built to be self-contained, there's nothing on them which has dependencies that can't be satisfied from within the CDs).

kernel-source doesn't have devel dependencies (atleast, not the last time i installed it...), it's only dep should be...well...the kernel...

when is that last time you installed mandrake, opened rpmdrake, searched for kernel, selected kernel-source? guess what happens and what has always happened? (I've ran mandrake for over 3 years) you get a popup asking if it is ok to intall its deps ;) the kernel-source is useless without make, autoconf etc.

glad to here it is on the cds now

i guess i must've had that stuff installed already. i always install the most recent version of mandrake and look for changes so that i can continue to provide relevant support here on this board. it doesn't stay long (i'm more hands-on than it allows) but it's always there for a week or two after a new release.