More Rosegarden Questions...

Naim89

Hi again,

I was just wondering, is it possible to export Rosegarden compositions to MP3 or WAVE? I'm trying to export them to MIDI with no success. I am trying to play back the exported MIDI files, however in Timidity++, they either fail to play, or they play sounding nothing like how it was composed (in terms of the soundfont used). Is there a way to get the MIDI file to play using the soundfont used to compose it? If not, is there a way that I can record the audio out of the computer by use of a program, and save that as an MP3/WAVE so that it sounds exactly like how it was composed?

Thanks in advance,

Naim

As far I know you can only export in midi. But my midi files play perfectly in timidity and when I transcode them to wavs (also with timidity) they open and play without problems in Audacity.

Perhaps there is something different with the default sample rate in timidity and the sample rate in rosegarden? Have a look at the options (timidity --help)

I'm sure there must be a way in Rosegarden to do this - but, if not, audacity can record from the output of the soundcard. So if you play back your song in Rosegarden then you can record it in audactiy. You can then export to wav or mp3...

As far I know you can only export in midi. But my midi files play perfectly in timidity and when I transcode them to wavs (also with timidity) they open and play without problems in Audacity.

Perhaps there is something different with the default sample rate in timidity and the sample rate in rosegarden? Have a look at the options (timidity --help)

MIDIs play in Timidity as long as JACK is not running, and has not been started in the session. If JACK is running, MIDI's don't play. In fact, nothing plays. Even after I shut down JACK and QSynth etc, I have to log out then in again to listen to my music on XMMS again.

I'm sure there must be a way in Rosegarden to do this - but, if not, audacity can record from the output of the soundcard.  So if you play back your song in Rosegarden then you can record it in audactiy.  You can then export to wav or mp3...

As long as JACK is running (which is required for Rosegarden), Audacity won't work properly. It's a catch 22 situation!

Edited by Naim89

You don't need jack to play midi files with timidity. Just open a console and type: timidity <name of midi file> (or have a look at the options timidity --help). To transcode type: timidity -Ow <midi file> <file.wav>

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, playing the MIDI file without JACK makes the MIDI sound rather inferior, as it uses the default MIDI set of instruments, not the soundfont I used for developing the MIDI with rosegarden. The soundfont used made the instruments sound very authentic (although I am perfect pitched, and it's annoying because in actual fact, the notes sound one tone higher than what they should be - playing an A would sound like a B, a B like a C# and so on :D). Is there any way to change this default set of instruments into the much nicer sounding soundfont that I used with rosegarden? Thanks!