set URLs in browsers

Trio3b

New to Mozilla 1.6 This may be more difficult than imagined, but have researched and posted about ONLY ALLOWING certain URLs as a way to provide parental control to kids PC. Keep coming up with advice to:

1. Use certain software (questionable filtering and sometimes lots of $$)

2. Set popup blocking in preferences which doesn't help because of filthy text

Seems to me that If I can set to allow only certain URLs in Mozilla, then I have created parental controls for the kids. We have about 30 - 50 sites that we know never have offensive content. That is PLENTY of browsing for young kids. Seems to me that would be more logical than looking for software that uses esoteric algorithms or filtering to scour every site on the ENTIRE www, no?

Is there any way to do this in CLI in mozilla, cause I can't find it in preferences, and is it global, or should this be done with each usernames browser settings.

thanks

• 4 weeks later...

How old your kids are.

Mine is 5 and other is 3

older likes to surf sometimes, but she still knows how to take the sites from the bookmarks and does not know howto google.

You can not do this in mozilla I havent found any of those settings there.

But probably you can do the filtering in proxy.

I have also heared of some content filtering solutions that work together with proxy and are dynamic. every page that is sent to the user is first analyzed and if it finds some content criterias based on some elements or words the content is denied.

I think one of them was NetNanny and there should be more.

I think there are also some application in the web available that do it you could try google for "Parental control"

Kristjan