Problems with Samba

somethingx

I've read "NT-06: How-To set up Samba Networking" and followed the instructions, but I'm having problems with it.

Do I need to add a new Linux user named like the Windows user before I use smbpasswd? When I didn't do that, I got an error, so I added a new user and it helped, but I would like other users to use Samba, not just the one with the Windows user name.

Anyway, even when I log-in with this user, I can't get Samba to work right.

When I write smb:/ in Konqueror, I can see the workgroup. I click on it and then I see two directories , "localhost" and the name of the Windows PC. When I click on the first I get a message "The file or folder smb://localhost/ does not exist". When I click on the second I get "Could not connect to host".

When I try to access Samba from the Windows PC, I get a message saying the workgroup is not accessible.

you can add as many user as u like in your samba box, and then add that in your smbpassd file.. then use that username to access from your windows box..( btw, i posted my problem about samba as pdc, right now, I did'nt made it yet... :( ) k, if you're trying to access from win98, u should use those username u created inyour linux to logon in the win98 box, else you'll get an error.. from your winNT, well, I think you already tried... anyway, you can login the username of your nt from to your win98, but you will be sharing your access rights.. another thing, make sure that your firewall did'nt block those ports use by samba., you can configure or check your firewall at the MCC, or you may try to check your logs also what was happening....

samba.org... guide

you can add as many user as u like in your samba box, and then add that in your smbpassd file.. then use that username to access from your windows box..

How do I use that username from Windows? Do I need to create a new Windows account with the same username?

I have Windows XP.

A few obvious things: make sure you have your workgroup the same on your systems and that your Windows directories are set to be shared and by whom.

How did you set up Samba? Make sure that you have your Samba shares (directories on linux you want shared) set correctly. I have found that the easiest way to set up Samba is from localhost:901 (Swat). That you cannot connect to the Windows machine leads me to think you haven't set Samba up correctly and possibly have different workgroups specified on each system.

Also a wierd quirk I ran into once has to do with computer names and user names. If a computer has the same name as one of the users Windows will not share with Linux.

I configured the Linux firewall at MCC to allow Samba service, but only after disabling the firewall I could access the other PC. I also had to disable the Windows XP firewall (ICF).

I edited shorewall/rules according to www.shorewall.net/samba.htm, but it doesn't work well. I can access Windows from Linux, but not the other way around, even though ICF is disabled.

EDIT: I installed a new firewall on my Windows box and it fixed the problem. The funny thing is that without a firewall it didn't work.

Edited by somethingx

I am still unable to get it to work right. I have no problem accessing Linux from Windows. Accessing Windows from Linux is a different story.

Sometimes it works fine, but suddenly I am asked for a username and a password. No matter what I put in, access is denied. I've tried restarting Samba, restarting Shorewall , log out of Linux, Log out of Windows - sometimes it helps, sometimes not. Sometimes I don't do anything and I get access again.

Another strange thing is that when I try to copy certain files from the Windows box to the Linux box, I get a message saying "could not read smb:/...". When I use Windows to copy them to Linux, nothing like this happens. I couldn't figure out what makes those files different from other files. Most of them are binaries, but not all of them.

I am still unable to get it to work right. I have no problem accessing Linux from Windows. Accessing Windows from Linux is a different story.

Sometimes it works fine, but suddenly I am asked for a username and a password. No matter what I put in, access is denied. I've tried restarting Samba, restarting Shorewall , log out of Linux, Log out of Windows - sometimes it helps, sometimes not. Sometimes I don't do anything and I get access again.

Another strange thing is that when I try to copy certain files from the Windows box to the Linux box, I get a message saying "could not read smb:/...". When I use Windows to copy them to Linux, nothing like this happens.  I couldn't figure out what makes those files different from other files. Most of them are binaries, but not all of them.

Actually, you don't need to have a samba server running to access your windows from your linux machine, just use your konqueror and type smb://ip-of-your-pc , when ask with a username and password, try to use your 2k/xp administrator account, you should be able to access all of the shared folder of disk. You dont need to create this administrator account in your linux.

Did you use LinNeighborhood? I encountered problem using this when I changed my mandrake from 10.0 to 10.1, dunno if the kernel really was the problem, I mean the default kernel of 10.1 oe.. see this post when it will timed out, LinNeighborhood will sometimes ask for a password and username..but will never accept it. that was before, now I rarely use linNeighborhood, I rather use konqueror typing smb://target-pc, well, so far so good...

Try to access your windows from your linux, then at the same time, try to check your logs at the konsole... #tail -f /var/log/messages , when that strange things appears, try to check what happen thru the logs...

ALso, some say that they dont encountered any problem when accessing windows shares thru CLI, using smbclient command, well, if you'r comportable to use it, you may try it...

btw, my kernel right now is 2.6.8.1.24mdk, 10.1 oe... you may try to update yours if u still using 2.6.8.1.12...