28 members have voted

1. 1. Mandrake should be renamed to

• Conectiva
    • Power Linux
    • DrakeConect
    • Phantom LInux
    • anything BUT Mandriva

All these names stink I think.

Mandriva sucks too but its the only one that would hold water.

Wizards. Phantoms, Power, Spellcaster.....

They just all seem so childish and corny.

Compudrake... Im sure theres a company that already uses Compu in that context, and we know stealing parts of names doesnt work, take Lindows for example.

iphitus

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't looked but wouldn't Phantom be copyrighted for the same reasons?

been doing some reading on this complex situation... any lawyers here ?

The "root" of Mandrake's whole problem revovles around their use of their original logo... which apparantly was clearly in violation of trademark laws with its use of a magician like penguin. Had Mandrakesoft not used this cartoon charactor... they most likely would not be in this current predicament.

Evidently... the use of the same name is fine... as long as each "mark" is distinguishable enough and also falls into its own class... such as Mandrake the cartoon charactor and Mandrake the software company. Look at Ford Motor Company and Ford Modeling agency or Apple Records and Apple Computers, among many others.

So as long as any company wanting to use the name "Phantom Linux" plays its cards right... Phantom Linux can legally hold its own TM.

On another note... anyone know anything about LinuxOne ? That whole set of domains is taken by Michael Lerperger from Salzburg and is not being used... exept for the same cover page on all.

The "root" of Mandrake's whole problem revovles around their use of their original logo... which apparantly was clearly in violation of trademark laws with its use of a magician like penguin. Had Mandrakesoft not used this cartoon charactor... they most likely would not be in this current predicament.

I suppose, but the companies are clearly not in the same business. Kelloggs took Exxon to court because of Exxon's use of their "friendly tiger" logo that looked similar to Kellogg's Tony the Tiger. Court ruled that even though the logos were similar, they said that people wouldn't confuse an oil company with a breakfast foods company. So too bad for Kelloggs....

Edited by null

I suppose, but the companies are clearly not in the same business.  Kelloggs took Exxon to court because of Exxon's use of their "friendly tiger" logo that looked similar to Kellogg's Tony the Tiger.  Court ruled that even though the logos were similar, they said that people wouldn't confuse an oil company with a breakfast foods company.  So too bad for Kelloggs....

So speaks someone who has never enjoyed a nice milky bowl of petrol in the morning before jumping into their car and wondering why the engine goes 'Snap, crackle, pop!'

ConDrakula = made me laugh, but I suggest you check the meaning of 'con' in a French dictionary...

Power Linux = sports drink or cereal

Mandrivia = blaxploitation movie from the 70s

DrakeConnect = a little too close to 'DrakConnect' for my liking, but otherwise kinda catchy. Like the duck-billed penguin idea too.

Phantom Linux = Hey, it's my suggestion so of course I'm gonna vote for it (even though it was a joke too...)

:banana:

Someone has suggested why not use a name they already own... Conectiva. The money they save on lawyers and marketing can be put to better use ;) I still think of my HP as a Compaq anyway. lol

I want to change my vote... from Power Linux to Conectiva... anyone else ? (post here and I will change it)

logo.jpg

actually this is not a stupid idea, but i guess mandrake doesn't like the idea because it might look like mandrake being bought by conectiva.

but conectiva sounds good, is already well known and the logo is okay.

Edited by arctic