Mandrake should be renamed to  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Mandrake should be renamed to

• Conectiva
    • Power Linux
    • DrakeConect
    • Phantom LInux
    • anything BUT Mandriva

It is evident that the name Mandrake has its days numbered.... so let's give this a shot and try to find a better name than Mandriva. I am probably not the only one that will not want to install something that resembles "man spit" in my machine.

Since time is money... and to speed up this poll... I have selected the maximum of 5 names from the possiblities already mentioned elsewhere. If any other good ideas come up... we can add another poll.

Some discussion on this subject is from this thread: http://mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=24119

MORE CHOICES HERE: http://mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=24178

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Phantom" suggests something that isn't really there, like vaporware. There's already a distro called Source Mage in which you "cast spells" to install software, so that gets rid of Spellcaster and Wizard Linux. Also, these three names are nerdy and don't have much corporate appeal. Power Linux isn't bad, but it is very generic. I suppose a generic sounding name isn't so bad as long as it's unique.

I chose Power Linux because

1.) i didn't like the other choices

2.) i really don't like mandriva

3.) although I really like mandrake best (still), it doesn't seem very likely

4.) phantom linux (although sounding impressive) sounds like easily losable, or transparent.

5.) power linux does sound neat if one were going to make a new distro.

mandrake sound fine, i hope they never chage it

Costly litigation involved to fight this issue... they must change it. ( read other thread )

You forgot to put Mandriva as a poll option. I dont like the rest of them, they seem to cheap and corny.

I didn't want to even allow that option... but for you... and since there is a 5 choice limit on these polls... I added some more choices here:

http://mandrakeusers.org/index.php?act=ST&f=21&t=24178

I was hesitant to use "ConDrakula" as a choice... thinking it would be trademarked some where... but it seems Dracula is in the public domain and usable. Although I did find a dozen trademarks on related merchandise... most of which were marked "abandoned."

There is also "Count Chocula" that is owned by General Mills (cereal) that could cause problems with this one (think Lindows / Windows).

Yeah, but think of the :evilmod: tux logo possiblities.

I know you were being humorous, and not seriously suggesting those names. Still, ConDrakula is funny & clever at the same time.

I definately don't like anything with "driva" in it. I agree with whoever said it sounds like spit or drivel...

I voted other. No, I don't have a name, but the one's listed do not have any ring at all. Mandrivia? Yikes!!