Internet connection question

Naim89

Hi there,

When I connect ppp0 to the internet, it always prompts for the root's password, to run:

/sbin/ifup ppp0

I saw that the permissions on this file was -rwxr-xr-x (0755).

The terminal output was:

[naim@localhost sbin]$ ./ifup
./ifup: line 5: /etc/init.d/functions: Permission denied
usage: ifup <device name>
[naim@localhost sbin]$

I then checked the permissions on the file /etc/init.d/functions. As I expected, the permissions on the file was -rwx------ (0700).

I am considering changing the permissions of /etc/init.d/functions to 0755, so that I wouldn't have to provide the root password when connecting to the internet. It becomes annoying when someone else needs to use the internet, and I have to keep providing the password.

However, would the changing of the file /etc/init.d/functions to 0755 lead to any security vunerabilities or else be a silly idea? Is the permissions on the file 0700 for a reason?

Thanks in advance,

Naim

• 4 weeks later...
Hi there,

When I connect ppp0 to the internet, it always prompts for the root's password, to run:

/sbin/ifup ppp0

Are you running the box as for server or as a desktop to surf and mail and im ... ?

By default mandrake allowes only root to establis the ppp0 connection even for low security level. If you use it as a desctop you can easily set up the connection to connect at boot and to stay up always.... There is no reall needs to connect and disconnect all the time. . You can also install and activate shorewall (default firewall) and make some restrictions there regarding inbound and outbound traffic. (I think by default that permits all outgoing traffic and stops all incomming).

If you are not running any publick services in internet (like webservers and so) there is no need to go for high security levels, standard is more than enogh.