USB GamePad Problems

Lärs

Well, it seems that I'm having more trouble with USB devices. I think this one would take a different measure to correct.

The other day, I bought a Logitech Dual Action USB GamePad. I plugged it in my USB port and ran HardDrake. But for some reason, HardDrake won't load, lest detect it, and my comp crashes when I boot up and autodetection takes place.

I've tried several things. What I did first is disabled supermount, as USB devices seem to slow down my system when it's enabled. I modprobed joydev (in konsole and in the pure X-less console), and it seemed to work out fine. Then I ran ZSNES to test if the joystick would work. Apparently not.

I've given up since then. I'm running KDE 3.2 with Mandrake 10.1 Official. What must I do to get HardDrake to properly detect it and *maybe* load the Module on boot, without hanging? Any suggestions?

it's a USB device so it uses the usbhid module, IIRC, which you'll have loaded already if you have a USB mode. It should show up in /dev/input ; look for /dev/input/js0. If it exists, the joystick's been picked up. zsnes may just be looking for /dev/js0 or something else that's not /dev/input/js0 , see if this can be configured.

/dev/js is a device. It's not something you can copy from the CDs. It gets created when the the module (=driver) gets loaded (installed). :)

Open a console, log in as root and type lsmod. Is joydev in the list? If not do modprobe joydev and look again. If it is in the list look in /dev for a js0, js etcetc again.

I don't see the gamepad mentioned in the output. Can you unplug/plug in the gamepad and run dmesg again?

usb 1-2.2: USB disconnect, address 3

usb 1-2.2: new low speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 8

input: USB HID v1.00 Joystick [Microsoft Microsoft SideWinder Precision Pro (USB)] on usb-0000:00:1f.2-2.2

You need to see something like this (this is for my sidewinder)

Oh sorry, i missed the huge USB part of the headline, I have been reading a lot of thrads and just saw that the problem was that there is no device detected, and that is the same thing i am seing. But my problem is actually about a joystick and with the old kind of connection, (read NOT USB). So I'm not sure this is the same thing, sorry for the misunderstanding

Ok I apologize for the delay, but I haven't had net access for a while, and my Linux box doesn't have net access either (which is no help) :D . Ok so basically my dmesg (at the end) said this.

usb 1-2: new low speed USB device using address 2

It didn't recognize what the joystick was though.

I modprobed for joydev, and nothing happened, according to dmesg. However I do know the joydev driver went into memory.

I unplugged and plugged in the gamepad again.

Basically dmesg said that the low speed device was removed, and it didn't detect it the second time.

Alsa and harddrake (the module harddrake) are reacting oddly to the gamepad. If I boot up the computer with the gamepad in, harddrakes convenient "detecting new hardware" freezes, and when I boot out after trying to get the gamepad to work (and unplugging it properly), alsa won't shut down.