Shutdown not working

Aonghus

Hi,

I recently installed ltmodem drivers (after a long struggle to do so), but since then when I try to shut down or log off from KDE, I'm presented with a blank screen after KDE closes, and I just have to switch it off. I don't think it's going through any of the kill processes or anything.

I can still shut down by going to the command line with ctrl-alt-F1 and typing poweroff.

I don't know if this is connected to the modem drivers, but seems to have started since then.

Anyone have any ideas that might help to fix this?

Thanks,

Aonghus

Not really sure what to look for in messages log.

I'm presuming the output for the last time it crashed is just before the start of the boot output from restarting. Only error like thing I can see there is:

Apr 4 15:52:43 localhost kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0

Is this relevant? (I'm not very experienced, so don't know how to interpret the log)

Does this mean there's something wrong with my floppy drive, and could it affect shut-down?

I thought that it must be a KDE problem, since it happens only when I try to shut down or logout there, not at command line (it's even ok in a konsole within the GUI); so I tried in Gnome and IceWM just to check and I get the same problem....

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks,

Aonghus

sounds to me like : the security settings have changed from lower level to higher ..when the security is set at "higher" you lose the logoff gui (green dragon) and just get "end session" .

Thanks for the suggestion, but according to the Mandrake Control Centre, security level is at 'normal', which is the option I chose at install.

Are there any other possibilities?

As far as I can discern the only thing that comes up in messages between the first line of boot-up and the last line of the previous session (I presume that's what it is - refers to using su, which I did before the shutdown crash) is the one I've quoted above.

Thanks again, and any further suggestions would be very much appreciated,

regards,

Aonghus

Thanks for your suggestions thus far, but still not working...

It says it allows shutdown for everybody for both settings (and the Lilo boot menu is ticked - I presume this is irrelevant).

Whether shutdown was allowed or not presumably shouldn't affect the ability to logout from the KDE menu, which I can't do either.

At a loss as to what to do about it now........

ANy other ideas?

Thanks,

Aonghus

sounds to me like : the security settings have changed from lower level to higher ..when the security is set at "higher" you lose the logoff gui (green dragon) and just get "end session" .

This got my attention, When I upgraded to KDE 3.4 and I see only "end session" without "restart" or Log off or shut down" When I went to MCC > Security > Set up a personal firewall in order to protect the computer and the network.

Inside the Set up a personal showed different lists such as:

Everything (no firewall)

Web Server

Domain Name Server etc...

How do I determine the levels?? and wanted to be able to get end session, restart, shut off, others which normal I have seen...

Many thanks,