newbie needs help configuring internet connection

taslim

how do i login as root admin to be able to edit all these files?

open the terminal, and type in the comand prompt su. You will be asked for the password. Type in the password which you gave to the root user during the initial install. The command prompt will change to something like this:

[root@computer_name current_dir]#

you're now root :D

Edited by coverup

thanx, but I was thinking loogin at the start as admin. U don't have this choice... Alright guys I have a suggestion. One of the laptops at home had problem connecting to the internet... I figured that the laptop had the same ip as the one I assigned to the desktop computer (the one with linux that do not want to get into the net)... there was an ip conflict in the network avoiding the laptop to access the internet... so I did change the ip of the desktop... internet started working again on the laptop... so here is the thing. I remember when the computer was under windows that when I first set up the router, i had an ip conflict problem because the computer was linked to the router by the LAN cable but also to the network via the wireless card. So what I did was disable the wireless card and everything worked out fine. So I am thinking maybe I am having the same problem. The thing is I do not know how to disable the wireless card. I use hardrake to browse hardware, but once I view the thing, first it says module: unknown and therefor i cannot run configure module which i guess would allow me to disable the device. what do yall think...?

Taslim

The module unknown message sounds like you don't have the drivers for the wireless card working so it probably isn't a problem.

If you run ifconfig (without any pararmeters) you should see the configured interfaces which should be eth0 (wired ethernet) and lo (loopback interface). Let us know if there are any others.

It is possible to log into madrake as root but it's a security risk and generally not the thing to do. If you really want to do it search this board and you'll find the info.