newbie needs help configuring internet connection

taslim

Hey everybody, I am a very beginner to linux and i need hel setting up my internet connexion... i have bellsouth adsl, 2wire modem, but i use a belkin router for wireless access in the house for my laptop (the router is connected to the modem and i have an ethernet con between the router and my computer). I just installed madrake and i cannot figur out how to setup the connexion. I would reaaly appreciate any kind of help. Thanx. PS: les reponses en francais sont ossi les bienvenues. Merci :o

[moved from Everything Linux by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

hi and welcome :)

use the mandrake control center, start the network wizard and set up a lan connetion. NOT the adsl connection from the menu. take a look at it. it is quite self-explaining. if you do have further problems, just ask. :)

okay, i try french. keep on laughing.

ouvre le centre de control de mandrake et choisi le programme pour activer ta connexión au internet. choisi la option lan, pas la de adsl. c'est très simple et tu devras entender tout ce qu'il y en a. mais si tu as plus de questions, nous sommes ici pour donner des responses. :)

francais est très dificile d'écrire d'après de dix ans sans practique dans la langue. :D

Edited by arctic

hmm.. what have you done exactly until now? could you explain it (maybe in french?) it will help to find the mistake you made when configuring your system.

here is some more help:

this is "Setting up a single Mandrake Linux PC with static ethernet IP address."

http://web.onetel.net.uk/~showerail/simple_net_setup.html

a howto if you have problems with accessing websites although you have your network up and running. it is for ubuntu but it will work for mandrake in 80% of cases.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=5690

oh... and if you really get stuck, please open a terminal, log in as root (type "su", then enter password) and give the result of

ifup eth0

ifconfig eth0

iptables -nvL

Edited by arctic

Now I am pretty much sure that I messed up something in the installation... To configure the network I did just as u sggested the first time: setup LAN, slected eth0 (network card), automatic ip, and for all the rest i just clicked next until it says congratulation etc. But when i go to the web browser (Konqeror), I get the error Unknown host www.whatever.com. Also when i go to manage connections there is no IP, no Netmask... what is more strange is that when I write in a terminal the command line u suggested, it keeps saying for ex: bash: ifup: command not found :o maybe i should reinstall what do u think...?

thanks for the links, the first one is broken though; i'll take a look at the other toom probably.

Preciate ur help man, arviderze! (does it even look like german? maybe it sounds... i guess i should stick with Merci et a biento... :D )

uh.. my fault. i accidently posted the wrong link in the above post. i changed it now.. sorry for the inconvenience.

and yes, do not forget to do these things as "root" user, otherwise you won't be able to start the core-applications. ;)

make sure that you have entered you DNS servers (you can find those on your router's status page) and your gateway (which is the ip address of your router)... after it says connected, try opening your router's web utility by typing it's ip address into the addressbar of your browser...

Thanks for helping guys.

well i entered the sbin/ifconfig eth0 line, here is what i get:

eth0 Link encap: Ethernet HWaddr 00:E0:18:6D:12:E9

inet6 addr: fe80::2e0:18ff:fe6d:12e9?64 Scope:Link

UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric: 1

RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:29 overruns:0 carrier:0

collision:0 txqueuelen:1000

RX bytes:0 (0.0 b ) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b )

Interrupt: 10 Base address: 0xa000

I am trying now to set it up with the DNS and IP of the router, I can get it from my laptop with ipconfig i guess...

still the same error...

I am now trying to enter the ip of the router in the address bar...

I don't think i got this right, am i using my laptop id instead of the router's one...? sure... God I am stupid...

Alright, sorry for being that much of a dummy but i can't figure out how to get the router's ip and dns.... :unsure: ... :help:

hum... i have Tunnel adapter Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

connection-specific dns suffix: belkin

ip address: fe80::5efe:192.168.2.11%2

default guateway

are these the dns and ip of the router? the ip s similar to the laptop's one except for the fe80 etc. so i do not think this is what it is... or is it..?

also on my previous post looks like some characters automatically transformed to smilies, at the RX bytes level. it did it by itself

eth0 Link encap: Ethernet HWaddr 00:E0:18:6D:12:E9

inet6 addr: fe80::2e0:18ff:fe6d:12e9?64 Scope:Link

UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric: 1

RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:29 overruns:0 carrier:0

collision:0 txqueuelen:1000

RX bytes:0 (0.0 cool.gif TX bytes:0 (0.0 cool.gif

Interrupt: 10 Base address: 0xa000

there is no ip address assigned for your box. try the "ifconfig-eth0" command after you have run

ifup eth0

as root from a console.

the ip of your router should be 192.168.2.1 or 192.168.0.1. try those. and please post the output of

cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

we might need to change that file manually.

also in ifcfg-eth0, I have

MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=no

In the link u sent me earlier it says it's supposed to show yes. tried to change it but can't edit the document. May that be the problem?

one strange thing though is that on the resolv.conf, the first line is:

search 168.2.1 bellsouth.net

which i did not specified when i set up the new connection (i deleted all the ones i had before and started from scratch), so... i don't know... rings any bell?

also after the first line i have a weird thing. it prints:

#search 168.2.1 bellsouth.net 168.2.1 bellsouth.net ...(total of 11 times) ... 168.2.1 bellsouth.net net bellsouth.net net bellsouth.net...(total of 7 times)...net bellsouth.net local net bellsouth.net local net bellsouth.net local

nameserver 192.168.2.1

# nameserver 192.168.2.2

#ppp temp entry

what bothers me is the repetition thing and that 192.168.2.2 is the ip of my laptop...