.rm codecs not working in xine

Aonghus

Hi,

I am running Mandrake 10.1 community with kernel 2.6.8-1.10-up-1GB.

I've been trying to play .wmv and .rm videos in kaffeine and having installed the essential codecs package from the mplayer site to usr/lib/win32 (which is apparently the right place for xine), Wmvs play sound and no video, as they did before, and with .rms I get an error in kaffeine saying:

A problem occured loading a library or a decoder: cook.so.6.0

So I tried using the codecs with mplayer (renaming /usr/lib/win32 to /user/llib/codecs, which I believe is the correct location for mplayer). I get the following error for .rm files:

Cannot find codec matching selected -vo and video format 0X30345652

Does this suggest that I haven't linked the codecs properly in either case; that there is something wrong with the codecs; or (which I presume is unlikely) that there is something wrong with both these players?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Update:

I deleted the codecs and tried installing from urpmi from plf.

Selecting xine-win32-1.0-7plf.rpm automatically added:

xine-plugins-1.0-7plf; xine-arts1.0-7plf; libxine1-1.0-7plf (which I presume needed updating)

and win32-codecs-1.6-3plf

The problem is, kaffeine still says it can't load cook.so.6.0 when I try a real video file. Looking through the codecs folder, this file doesn't seem to exist (which it did in the previous tarball I downloaded). Is realmedia support missing from the plf rpm; or is it maybe still looking for the old codecs for some reason?

This is driving me nuts, so if anyone has got .rm files going in kaffeine, please let me know how it worked.

By the way, wmv 9 files now work fine, so it must be accessing the codecs.

Thanks,

Aonghus

Edited by Aonghus

Thanks for the response.

They are directly in the /usr/libwin32 folder, not a subfolder. I had hoped to get the essentials package working because I only have a modem connection, so I try to avoid really large downloads.

I presume that the essentials package wouldn't be available if it was missing anything critical, surely? Or could it be that it just doesn't work with my distro, or version of xine? THe fact that the error refers to the cook.so.6.0 codec, rather than saying it is missing the codec like it did before, suggests that it can find them, but can't use them for some reason.

Has anyone else got this error message when using these codecs with xine/kaffeine?

Thanks,

Aonghus

Sorry - misunderstanding on my part.

I thought the real codecs were part of the win32 package having seen it refered to on threads about real, and since I did have a cook.so file with them.

I downloaded and installed real-codecs from plf and have them working fine now.

One small problem though is that when I open the xine engine parameters in kaffeine and give it the /usr/lib/real folder as the source for the real codecs, the real videos play fine, but everytime I reopen kaffeine I have to retype this. Anyone know why it's not storing the path?

Aonghus,

that's a special bug/feature of kaffeine ;-)

Solution (for MDK 10.1), edit the file: /home/<user>/.kaffeine/config

Look at these lines:

# path to RealPlayer codecs

# string, default:

decoder.external.real_codecs_path:/usr/lib/real

So, just remove the # before the 'decoder blah blah'

(Solution for Limited Edition 10.2, the file to edit is in /home/<user>/.kde/apps/kaffeine/xine.conf)

Thanks for the tip, Anna.

Unfortunately my jubilation seems to have been premature.

Xine now crashes when I try to play rm files - I either get a few seconds of the file, but with the picture outside the window, so that I can only see a bit of the side or bottom, or it just crashes immediately and gets signal 11: SIGSEGV.

I have been trying to get transcode working, which downloaded 6 or 8 dependencies with it (after an epic battle getting the right working libMagick :) ). Could this have changed the version of a package on which xine depends, perhaps?

Thanks,

Aonghus

Sorry to hear this, Aonghus.

Do all .rm/ram/realmedia streams crash kaffeine for you?

When I 'copy' (not clicking) the following URL, then kaffeine-->File-->Open URL and I paste it, it plays just fine: (just an example):

http://www.rnw.nl/distrib/realaudio/ram/live/dutch_live.ram

You are running 10.1 Community, me: Official with updates.

What I can remember is that plf has a completely different xine version. But urpmi took care of installing all xine related rpm's from plf for me.

Here the versions:

[chris@localhost chris]$ rpm -qa | grep xine

xine-arts-1-0.rc8.1plf

xine-faad-1-0.rc8.1plf

libxine1-1-0.rc8.1plf

xine-win32-1-0.rc8.1plf

xine-flac-1-0.rc8.1plf

xinetd-2.3.13-1mdk

xine-plugins-1-0.rc8.1plf

xine-esd-1-0.rc8.1plf

[chris@localhost chris]$ rpm -qa | grep kaffeine

kaffeine-0.4.3b-10.1.101mdk

[chris@localhost chris]$ rpm -qa | grep real

real-codecs-1.2-1plf

[chris@localhost chris]$

Thanks for the response, Anna.

Seem to have all the necessary rpms.

[aonghus@localhost aonghus]$ rpm -qa | grep xine

xinetd-2.3.13-1mdk

xine-win32-1.0-7plf

xine-plugins-1.0-7plf

libxine1-1.0-7plf

xine-arts-1.0-7plf

[aonghus@localhost aonghus]$ rpm -qa | grep kaffeine

kaffeine-0.4.3b-10.1.101mdk

[aonghus@localhost aonghus]$ rpm -qa | grep real

real-codecs-1.2-1plf

Same kaffeine version - I presume the different plf rpms are to do with my having a different verson of Mandrake?

Kaffeine's crashes don't seem to be consistent either - it has now stopped opening at all. Running from command line just outputs:

XInitThreads()

Something wrong with this function perhaps?

Starting to get tempted to buy a hatchet :angry:

If anyone has any suggestions (including a good place to buy a hatchet) they would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Aonghus

A hatchet, lol.

"XInitThreads()" - I just reproduced that.

You are already running kaffeine, in the background. When you close kaffeine with (x), and not with the File-Quit, then kaffeine will put an icon in the systray. Maybe you don't see this, because you don't have a 'systray'part in your taskbar. Just add it: right click on the task bar -> add--> applet --> system tray

btw you can rename your /home/<user>/.kaffeine directory (after closing kaffeine), then you can start with a fresh config file :-)

Thanks again Anna

Kaffeine wasn't in my systray because I hadn't set it in the configuration, but seemed to continue running. Anyway, I did 'killall kaffeine' then got rid of the .kaffeine in my home dir and restarted. It's now functioning quite nicely to play .avis (which is nice since they were jerky before), but as soon as I give it the path to the real codecs and try to open one it crashes. And furthermore, it messed up avi's when I restarted again and tried to play one....odd, methinks.

I guess I shall have to do without real support - I don't have that many of them anyway, so I suppose it's not too much of a loss - unless anyone has any great ideas on this mystery?

Thanks for all your help,

Aonghus

I have an AdamW special, i.e., a dirty workaround - install RealPlayer. :)

Actually, install the official RealPlayer, look where it puts its codecs, then try pointing kaffeine at 'em. Maybe it'll work that way. I don't know how old PLF's real-codecs package is.

dang you adamw, you just beat me to it. lol Though I wouldn't bother pointing kaffiene at the new codecs.

You should realy consider just using RealPlayer. The latest version is realy fantastic, and IMNSHO, it's better than it's windows counterpart, and not just because it's running on my linux box. It's much more stream-lined, and doesn't have all the ad-ware built in.

This is something I've seen a lot in the linux community, and I don't realy understand it. There seems to be a resistance to using the right programs for things. Lot's of people use kghostview for PDF's and mplayer or xine for RealMedia files, and those horrible PLF swfcodecs for flash, when all of those things are freely available from the manufacturers.

I wonder if people realize that by downlaoding the real apps, from the companies that make them, they are realy supporting the entire linux movement. It says, "Yes, there's people who actualy use linux and appreciate your software." That means more native ports.

Thanks for the responses.

I still can't get real working in xine, so I moved the codecs to /usr/lib/codecs for mplayer, and they work fine in that.

The reason I haven't installed real player is that I have only a handful of rm videos, and (since I have a modem connection) don't tend to use streaming much, if at all. Also, with a slow connection I prefer to try and get what I have available to me before I try downloading anything (although it tends to be far more time consuming in the end :) ).

Still no idea about the xine crash, but as long as I can play them somewhere I'm not too concerned.

Thanks for the help,

Aonghus

This is something I've seen a lot in the linux community, and I don't realy understand it.  There seems to be a resistance to using the right programs for things.  Lot's of people use kghostview for PDF's and mplayer or xine for RealMedia files, and those horrible PLF swfcodecs for flash, when all of those things are freely available from the manufacturers.

I wonder if people realize that by downlaoding the real apps, from the companies that make them, they are realy supporting the entire linux movement.  It says, "Yes, there's people who actualy use linux and appreciate your software."  That means more native ports.

I happen to use Linux, but supporting the open source movement is more important to me than supporting the Linux movement. Without the GPL, Linux is just another OS/2 or BeOS. A few years ago I would have been completely baffled to see a Linux forum where people were advocating proprietary software over open source, but I guess it's a sign that open source is succeeding when people can take it for granted. KPDF in KDE 3.4 is a perfect example of where supporting the open source alternative over the proprietary version pays off.