Proximodo - Compile HowTo

griptypethyne

Over the past few months I have posted several queries as I struggled to compile Proximodo on MDK10.1. My first successful compile took nearly three months. Now I can edit a source file, compile, link and run Proximodo in a few minutes :lol2:

I have attached a HOW TO explaining how to compile Proximodo.

As an aside, I have just been reading another thread that mentioned -devel versions of libraries. It is now obvious to me now - but wasn't for a long time - that if you are compiling from source you must have the -devel versions of dependant libraries because the compiler will need the header files.

Now that I have Proximodo running I have made a permanent change to Linux. It is several weeks since I last booted to XP and I cannot think of any reason why I will need to do so in the near future. It has been a long and, at times, frustrating journey. It is a year since I went into my local electronics retailer and purchased my first MDK distro CD for $2.

I think that I have graduated from the newbie class of '04 B)

Compile_Proximodo_mdk101.txt

Edited by griptypethyne

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
Guest cvevans
wxGTK 2.6 has been released. I have issued version 2 of my notes on compiling Proximodo.

Version 2 explains how to compile Proximodo with wxGTK 2.6 and GTK2.

I got an error trying to view the attachment.

Please anyone who has it post it inline or email it to me.

Thanks.

Posted inline but the link is working fine. What was your error message?!?

Installing Proximodo on Mandrake 10.1
-------------------------------------

Written by Griptypethyne.
Version 2.1  28/4/05   (wxGTK 2.6.0 & gtk 2.4.9)
Version 1.1  27/3/05  ( wxWidgets 2.5.4 & gtk 1.2.10)

Follow these steps in the order given to compile and run Proximodo. 

************************** A. Check GCC Version ********************************************

Proximodo will compile with gcc 3.4.1.

I received syntax errors when using gcc 3.3. The errors were in gcc file mathcalls.h. I do not know if the errors were caused by gcc 3.3 or some other problem.  Note that it was at a very early stage in my efforts to compile Proximodo.

********************  B. Install  GTK2 ******************************************************

Use rpmdrake to install:
gtk+2.0-2.4.9-9.1.101mdk
libgtk+2.0_0-devel-2.4.9-9.1.101mdk

I also have libgtk+2.0_0-2.4.9-9.1.101mdk installed. Not sure if it is needed. It may have been installed as a dependant file of the -devel- package. I think that it is the runtime libraries (dynamic linking). 

GTK2 does not use gtk-config. It uses uses pkg-config instead.

From a terminal run
pkg-config gtk+-2.0  --modversion

and confirm that it returns 2.4.9

The development package of libgtk is required because in the next step wxGTK will be installed and compiled from source. If someone creates a development package (binaries + headers) for wxGTK 2.6.0 then I assume that a libgtk binary only package would be sufficient i.e. the headers would not be needed.

********************  C. Install wxGTK  with GTK2 ************************************************

Go to  http://www.wxwidgets.org  -> Downloads and download 

wxGTK-2.6.0.tar.bz2

Open a terminal and su root. Then enter the following:

tar -zxvf wxGTK-2.6.0.tar.bz2		//To unzip the files.
cd /wxWidgets-2.6.0			//Unzipped files are placed in this directory.
./configure --enable-log			//Defaults are log off & with-gtk=2.
make clean				//If a previous make has failed.
make					//Be patient - it will finish without errors!
make install
ldconfig

Notes:
(a) Do not need to set CFLAGS or LDFLAGS to install wxGTK 2.6.0 because ./configure uses pkg-config to set the flags.
(b) log is off by default when running  ./configure.
(c) Use ./configure --with-gtk=1 if gtk2 is not installed.
(d) If Proximodo is to be installed with static wxGTK libraries then use ./configure --disable-share.

Note:  If someone creates a development package (binaries + headers) for wxGTK 2.6.0 then I assume that you could install that package rather than compiling wxGTKs from source. The wxGTK headers are needed so that Proximodo can be compiled.

************************* E. Compile Proximodo ************************************************

Download the Proximodo source package and unzip to <Proximodo source path>.

Open a terminal:

<wxGTK path>/wxGTK-2.6.0/wx-config --version	//Make sure result is 2.6.0
<wxGTK path>/wxGTK-2.6.0/wx-config --cxxflags 	//Set WXINC_REL in Proximodo Makefile	
<wxGTK path>/wxGTK-2.6.0/wx-config --libs 	//Set WXLIB_REL in Proximodo Makefile

Open Proximodo Makefile in a text editor and follow the instructions to set WXINC_REL & WXLIB_REL, using the values obtained above.

In a termnal enter:
cd <Proximodo source path>
make	   

The Proximodo executable can now be found in <Proximodo source path>/distrib

Notes: 

(a) I unzipped the Proximodo source to my /home directory. As a result the Proximodo binary installed in /home/<middle part of path>/src/distrib and so I did not need to su root. Maybe it would be better to edit Makefile so that the binary is placed in /usr/Proximodo, in which case it would be necessary to su root.

(b) Create a file proximodo.compile.sh:

#!/bin/sh
cd /home/dad/SetUpLinux/Proximodo/src
make distrib/proximodo

(c) Important: Make sure that you are using the correct version of wx-config - I have at least four copies on my system.

(d) If wxGTK has been configured with he --disable-share option then the wxGTK will be automatically linked statically. There is no need to use the -static parameter on the link rule in the Makefile. In fact, using it will force *all* libraries to be linked as static. There will be lots of missing libraries as the linker will be looking for the -static- versions of the libraries.

*************************  F.  Linux Path Conventions ********************************************

cd <Proximodo source path>/distrib

Open file settings.txt in a text editor and change the "\" to "/" in the list-file names.

************************* G.  Run Proximodo ****************************************************

Create a shell script proximodo.sh to run Proximodo:

#!/bin/sh
cd <path>/src/distrib 
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/X11R6/lib
./proximodo&

You may wish to experiment to determine which of the export statements is required.

********************** H. Changes to Proximodo Source ****************************************

If you make changes to a Proximodo source file you can compile just the changed file (and save time) by entering

make distrib/proximodo

To force a compile of all files enter

make clean
make 

Note: Testing changes is quick and easy:

Open source file in kwrite (or your favourite editor - I recommend kwrite). 
Make and save changes.

In a terminal:
cd <Proximodo script path>
./proximodo.compile.sh
./proximodo.sh

***************** I. Known Problems   *****************************************************

(a) Fixed in wxGTK2.6.0 - The mouse wheel works only when the cursor is in the vertical slider. It does not work if the cursor is in the window.

(b) Does not work in wxGTK2.6.0 - The GetOpenCommand function does not work so the browser cannot be opened and help pages displayed.Proximodo opens a message window when this occurs.

Guest cvevans

What is the date of the source code you compiled? I just grabbed the latest CVS.

I got lots of errors with WX 2.6 - calls to functions that did not exist until WX 2.8.4. -

so I updated to WX 2.8.7.

Those errors are now gone - builds fine until settings.cpp:

very many errors like this one:

settings.cpp:226: error: conversion from 'const char*' to 'const wxString' is ambiguous

/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/string.h:692: note: candidates are: wxString::wxString(wxChar, size_t) <near match>

/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/string.h:682: note: wxString::wxString(int) <near match>

by the way I am running debian

Thanks for the help.

many errors like this one:

settings.cpp:226: error: conversion from 'const char*' to 'const wxString' is ambiguous

/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/string.h:692: note: candidates are: wxString::wxString(wxChar, size_t) <near match>

/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/string.h:682: note: wxString::wxString(int) <near match>

You have to wrap your strings in wxT() or _() to make them compile properly in Unicode builds. So edit all your strings like this:

function("some string");

to

function(wxT("some string"));

More info here: wxwidgets.org/WxString#Warnings