Linux and Mobile Phones

Naim89

Is there a way to connect my mobile phone to Mandrake so that I can do things like managing my contacts, organising SMS & MMS, transfering pictures and videos etc.? I am using a Sharp GX20 and I have a data cable. The data cable doesn't seem to work though - it comes up on the list of hardware under "unknown/others", and the manufacturer (Mobile Action) only bother with a Windows version. If it turns out that cable is not the way to go, is there any way by IrDA?

Any help appreciated.

does the phone run propriety software (that is, phone specific) or some form of windows?

i know sharp has a linux pda - so if it runs some form of linux it may be able to be workable, however a google search turns up no good leads.

Ah, it runs it's own propriety software - something like ITRON OS... If my memory serves me correctly... but unfortunately nevertheless it's not Windows or Symbian powered. Otherwise, it'd be damn easy!

I actually have the copy of the software (called a FLASH) in motorola s-record format. I can't actually figure out how to translate it into assembly or source code to know how it works - otherwise it'd be a great step to knowing how the phone operates - and by knowing how it operates, it wouldn't be rocket science to make a tool that could do such things...

Mobile phones are actually one of the hardest to connect to Linux. Each phone manufacturer has its own standard of communication. Would you believe Nokia (a Finnish company) has one of the worst support in Linux, while sony-ericsson has one of the best? Also, just because you have an IRDA dongle working and it can detect the phone, doesn't mean that you can transfer images like that.

Unfortunately, I cannot find your particular phone on tuxmobil.org. I guess the best way is to research it yourself.

afaik, gnokii and multisync do quite well with nokias. But yeah, it's very much dependent on your phone model and not so much on your distro. Best idea is to Google for +"phone model" +"linux" and investigate the results, just remember that almost all the *software* referred to will probably be packaged for MDK already, so just urpmi it and don't worry about compiling from source. Also be wary about any instructions to recompile kernels, MDK kernel may well have the appropriate things done already.

Wouldn't it be much better if there was a common standard between ALL mobile phones? This would make life a hell of a lot easier!

So, looks like the two choices really are:

1) Disassemble the phone. Find out how it works. Disassemble the software on the phone and find out how that works (I have a copy of the software - 30MB). Then create a program that can achieve communication with this device.

2) Go to the high street. Go to the local Sony-Erricson shop. Buy a T630. Enjoy!

I can do a little bit of programming - I'm only as good really as those 21-day courses where I know all the basics and can embark on more complex projects - but I simply do not have the time, money or expertise to do the first option!

If I get a new phone, I can experiment on this one to try and achieve something (something which I've been willing to do is to get rid of the Infrared restriction which disallows transfers by IrDA, forcing customers to Media Message instead, which I think is a bit :furious3: but none the less).

Ah well, thanks for your help anyway!

Mobile phones are actually one of the hardest to connect to Linux. Each phone manufacturer has its own standard of communication. Would you believe Nokia (a Finnish company) has one of the worst support in Linux, while sony-ericsson has one of the best? Also, just because you have an IRDA dongle working and it can detect the phone, doesn't mean that you can transfer images like that.

Unfortunately, I cannot find your particular phone on tuxmobil.org. I guess the best way is to research it yourself.

My Sony-Ericcson was a breeze to connect to Linux - using Bluetooth. But you are right, in general phones are a bit iffy.

If it isn't on tuxmobil, though, then you might have to wait for support...

My Sony-Ericcson was a breeze to connect to Linux - using Bluetooth. But you are right, in general phones are a bit iffy.

This is because Sony-Ericcson has an established common firmware that is common with all sony-ericcson, nokia, and other mobile phones. Because of a common platform that is used among loads of phones, there is a wide community that has this platform, so development is very likely.

Anyone with ITRON OS? :D :P

• 1 month later...

I suggest a great piece of software called moto4lin (look at sourceforge)

works well with most of motorola phones.

I testedt it with V500 ... perfect.

and btw. don't miss to load

modprobe cdc-acm before lunching the program.

If You connect your phone then You should have a /dev/ttyACM0 device present

then You should change permissions to that device for all users .

Launch moto4lin and enjoy ....

:banana:

This is because Sony-Ericcson has an established common firmware that is common with all sony-ericcson, nokia, and other mobile phones. Because of a common platform that is used among loads of phones, there is a wide community that has this platform, so development is very likely.

Anyone with ITRON OS? :D :P

Lots of info for SE P series ie P800, P900, P910 and Linux here:

http://www.alfonsomartone.itb.it/pdzrho.html

:)