Display Manager...

dmzeplin

I was trying to figure out where to solve KDE control center and menudrake problems, and when I went in MCC to look around and found display manager that have two different and I keep wondering what difference?

Will that help to solve KDE control center and menudrake? Since I got error when type in root for kcontrol;

kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/Mandrakelinux/Multimedia/

Sound/kmid.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/midi'

kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/Mandrakelinux/Multimedia/

Graphics/The GIMP v2.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/bm

p'

Graphics/The GIMP v2.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/fi

ts'

kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/Mandrakelinux/Multimedia/     Graphics/The GIMP v2.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/pc     x'

kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/Mandrakelinux/Multimedia/     Graphics/The GIMP v2.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/pi     x'

kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/Mandrakelinux/Multimedia/     Graphics/The GIMP v2.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/pn     m'

kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'katepart.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicety     pe 'text/x-fortran'

kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'knotify.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetyp     e 'KNotify'

kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/Mandrakelinux/Internet/We     bBrowsers/Mozilla Firefox.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'tex     t/mml'

kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/Mandrakelinux/Office/Word     processors/OpenOffice.org Writer.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicety     pe 'application/x-doc'

Invalid entry (missing '=') at /tmp/kde-root/kconf_updateLmGq0a.tmp:1

KWrited - Listening on Device /dev/pts/3

kcontrol: WARNING: No K menu group with X-KDE-BaseGroup=settings found ! Default     ing to Settings/

if I choice XDM, will that solve the problem?

[moved from Everything Linux by spinynorman]

no, it won't because xdm and kdm don't have anything to do with your kcontrol problems. xdm is a login manager based on X, while kdm is the kde specific login manager (=the thing you see where you type in your name + password in order to start kde)

try removing your hidden /.kde folder in your /home directory and run kcontrol again. does it still give you error messages? if yes, have you already updated your system with easyurpmi? this can solve a lot of minor annoyances.

no, it won't because xdm and kdm don't have anything to do with your kcontrol problems. xdm is a login manager based on X, while kdm is the kde specific login manager (=the thing you see where you type in your name + password in order to start kde)

try removing your hidden /.kde folder in your /home directory and run kcontrol again. does it still give you error messages? if yes, have you already updated your system with easyurpmi? this can solve a lot of minor annoyances.

Thanks arctic, actually, I have formatted and doing 10.2 rc2 now... and am running and set up for now and will try KDE 3.4 later soon when I get time. Thanks again... Now I understand about XDM and KDE display manager...

Thanks again :D