Wireless networking problems

Leeroy1978

Hi

I have setup my mandrake 10.1 PC to act as a wireless server, and I have windows XP machine which connects wirelessly to this machine. The problem being that the connection seems quite tempramental. It doesn't seem to be a question of signal strength, as the windows PC says that the signal strength is good and that there is a connection. But, when one tries accessing the net, it just times out. I cant even ssh into the linux PC either, which means that the problem doesn't just lie with port 80.

I try pinging the windows PC, to which it does not always respond. On my linux box im using a US robotics 22Mbs wireless PCI card using the acx100 driver and on the windows laptop I'm using a netgear 11Mbs PCMCIA card. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

Cheers

Lee

The description sounds just like the problem I am having... The link is active, the signal strength is Okay, acckording to kwifimanager and kwirelessmonitor, but pinging the router results in "Destination unreachable". The problem seems to be with the w/router - the remedy is to hard reset the router (by pulling power plug out, then reconnecting power). Does rebooting one of the PCs fix the problem?

Thanks for your responses guys. Firstly, the laptop is setup with a static IP address. I presume the DNS info is ok, as normally the system works without problems for surfing the net etc. I basically have 3 network interfaces, eth1 which connects to the cable modem, eth0 which connects to another windows machine and wlan0, for the wireless network.

Yeah, rebooting does seem to help. I've been in touch with the acx driver people and they''ve recommended updated the firmware. I'll try that and let you know how it goes.

Cheers

Lee

I'm new to Linux so I don't know the equivalent Windows option for this. However, when I installed wireless into my laptop I had a problem whereby I would get disconnected and reconnected quite regular, like every five minutes or something.

I had to turn an option off under Windows to stop this from happening. This option was "Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network". As soon as I turned this off, I never had any problems with the connection disconnecting/reconnecting.

I'm not sure if this is the same as what you're experiencing, so I thought I would post it anyway, in case it helps! I currently lack a wireless router to test and confirm for sure!!!