Recommend a music player

paul

What doe people thing ??

I like rhythmbox, but it crashed and never ever recovered after adding 2000 songs :(

xmms working perfectly, but I'd like to be able to search/organise etc etc.

tell me .. what's being used in this screenie ??

http://mandrakeusers.org/index.php?act=Att...pe=post&id=1478

seriously amorok is .... well pretty cool...

juk has some nice features too and if you use both you can use em to rename and edit the mp3 tags ... 

amorok just blows me away though...

Yup, yup... I agree! Just installed 1.2.2 ... it's awesome!

You can use a SQLite or MySQL database to store songs.

NO

mpd

www.musicpd.org

I've tried everything and it is the best for a large collection of music. The gmpc frontend absolutely rocks. You can access your music so many ways, its kickass. Not to mention the fact it keeps playing even if X dies.

Try it, once you get it running, you wont use anything else, its awesome.

that screenie is rhythmbox in small mode.

Edited by iphitus

ALSA lib confmisc.c:945:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
ALSA lib conf.c:3463:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: Permission denied
ALSA lib conf.c:3932:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: Permission denied
ALSA lib pcm.c:2068:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
problems getting ao_driver_info
you may not have permission to the audio device                           [ !! ]

seraph root #

Looks like a nice idea tho'

nevermjind fixewd it :)

edit /etc/security/console.perms

<console> 0600 <sound> 0600 root.audio

change to

<console> 0660 <sound> 0660 root.audio

reboot

BTW :( I've rebooted twice tonight :/

I use rhythmbox, it's certainly the most stable player ive used and plays loads of formats thanks to gstreamer(?).

I seem to be able to crash it quite easily :oops:

I think I'll give mpd a go for a while and see how it goes.

I guess it server/client so I'm thinking of a server :)

oh FYI http://www.iosart.com/foxytunes/firefox/

I seem to be able to crash it quite easily  :oops:

I think I'll give mpd a go for a while and see how it goes.

I guess it server/client so I'm thinking of a server :)

That's weird, it works fine for me. I guess it depends on what version you use among other things, no?

Call me an odd ball, but I really like XMMS.  It's light and simple, which is why I like it so much.

Why don't you try beep-media-player then? It's xmms but looks a lot better it's in gtk2 i think.

Guest Adriano1

I've tested them all, for reasons similars to the original poster. I really like rhythmbox, and the current fedora version handles my collection well. I don't recall the number, but they're certainly more than 2000.

My friend in the PC next to me has taken a liking to xmms, because rhythmbox would _always_ crash when trying to load his collection. They're something like 9000 songs. I think it's not related to the number but to corrupted ID3 tags. Of course, hunting down the *censored* files among 9000 when you don't even know exactly what to look for is something for the criminally insane.

I tried juk (unstable) and amarok (unstable too). I really liked amarok over rhythmbox for its capability to modify tags on the fly (rhythmbox just displays them) and the album covers are certainly nice... But I'm quite happy now, and haven't experienced any trouble with rb, so I think I'll keep it.

xmms or beep are nice, but I like the simplicity of rhythmbox.

Ultimately, it depends on what you want. If you prefer iTunes to winamp, you'll prefer rhythmbox/amarok to xmms or beep.

And the final disclaimer: almost all of this is tested on fedora 3, save for amarok on the 'drake 10.2 x86_64 beta, where it flies.

I like Rhythmbox, though I hated it up to the 0.8 series - it was way too slow and unstable with large numbers of files. It's much better now. The Rhythmbox guys have logging options to figure out which files have bad tags, adriano - if you go ask in their IRC channel someone will walk you through it. I have about 8,000 songs in my database, I think. To the OP, if you liked Rhythmbox, you might want to just delete its config directory (~/.rhythmbox , or it might be under ~/.gnome somewhere) and try again.

If you havnt tried it, give mpd a good shot. www.musicpd.org

I've been using it since the day i was told about it and havnt looked back, i've mentioned it to others, Ohms/Steve Scrimpshire, Lukek, Paul, DOlson, and they've all started using it :D

It's gmpc frontend has the best navigation of a music database out of any player I have tried.

iphitus