video not recognized

Guest sandolph

Guest sandolph

I am new to Linux, got a copy Mandrake 9.0 I had d/l some time ago and installed it on a Dell Optiplex GX270. I get the bash prompt but can't run a desktop or directx, as the install didn't apparently recognize the on-board video of the Dell. Is there a generic driver I should use? When I start XFdrake the only Dell video onboard choice doesn't work; with either of the 2 versions of xfree offered, I get an error. Is there some kind of generic driver for video? I'd even buy Mandrake 10 if I could be reasonably sure it would recognize my hardware.

What Dell do you have? Better yet, what video processor are they using in it? Intel?

Oh, it's x, not direct x! :lol: With linux, you'll be interested in Open GL for video gaming.

Most Dells have intel integrated graphics, and those need patches - nothing complicated, but not included.

I'd recommend to get a more recent distro, 9.0 is stone age, get 10.1 OE instead, then fix your graphics setup.

More info in my mdk10.1oe review on my website, including info on these Dell / intel patches.

I have ran Mandrake 10.0 OE and 10.1 OE on a Dell Optiplex GX260 without any problems. However, I am using an ATI Radeon VE card, and not the on-board one.

MDK 10 installed fine without any issues, so it may be better running this than an earlier version. You're probably finding that V9 doesn't have the drivers you require, whereas 10 most likely will.

If you get prompted about using XFree86 (on 10.0) or Xorg (10.1), I suggest you have this selected to load at startup, else you'll just be dropped at a login: prompt in the CLI. I had this with my Toshiba laptop when I installed MDK 10.0, as it runs an Intel 82852/82855, and I initially turned the option off and had a problem. On reinstall, I ensured it was selected, and I had the GUI without any probs. You can configure all this as you install anyhow, when it lists all your various installed hardware and settings. Make a note of what your graphics card is listed as in Windows, and then match accordingly when you install MDK.

If you happen to find any problems installing after this, have a look in your BIOS for something called "Hyperthreading". This makes the Dell look like it has multiple processors. I've not actually got one of these machines, so it may or may not be a problem, but if you do experience any issues, turn this off and try again to see if it resolve the install prob.

You can download 10.0 OE from http://www.linuxiso.org/ and it's a 3 CD set, or perhaps obtain over BitTorrent if you want to download it faster.

Edited by ianw1974