System rebuild after failed KDE 3.4 upgrade.

Lexx

First and formost I want to say that I still think Thac did a great job on those 3.4 RPMS. I think there were far more successfull upgrades than failed ones. Unfortunately for yours truely that was not the case.

Like several others, I had sufficent problems after upgrading to 3.4. Something which complete baffles me, as I am very certain it had nothing to do with 3.4, was how after a few minutes I would get some crazy EXT3 errors and could not write to the disk. These only started happening after the upgrade from 3.3thac to 3.4thac.

With the 3.4 issues, lost menus, lost bookmarks, parts of the kcontrol not responding properly, some kicker componets not working correctly, compounded with the EXT3 errors, I tossed in the towel and reinstalled the system.

I decided to take advantage of the opportunity and look at some of the other distros again. Needless to say, I came right back to MDK. So I'm looking to upgrade KDE to Thacs 3.3 from a fresh 10.1 install. Which worked wonderfully for me.

Here's my current dilema which I must resolve before continuing to upgrade.

My system is comprised of several physical drives. I have one drive dedicated to Linux and another drive dedicated to a swap partition and /home in the event of something catastrophic happening to the main drive. So glad I did that as it came in usefull this time around. :banana:

My problem is that since all of the menus and personalizations from KDE 3.4 are still in their I do not have all the default menu entries from a clean Mandrake install. Anyone know how I can get these back?

Thus far I have tried:

mv ~/.local ~/.local.last

Making changes in menu applet in MCC.

I think I did a mv ~/.kde ~/.kde.last, but this was late last night and I can not recall at the moment. :screwy:

Can anyone offer any additional guidance?

And once again, thanks to Thac for this 3.4 Preview. I was so very impressed with the parts that worked that I am looking forward to an official MDK release with KDE 3.4.

:thanks:

moved from Everything Linux to Softare - scoopy

Will do, thanks. I''ve decided to rebuild the system again. I'm thinking/hopeing that using 10.1OE-DVD instead of 10.1CE-DVD will make a difference in upgrading later. :) I had 10.1CE when I upgraded to Thacs 3.3 and then 3.4.

If moving .kde didn't work it must be some other config file. Look in your $HOME and look at the hidden filed and folders. There is a .menu folder. Maybe removing that one will do it?

OK. Finally made some time to try and fix this. So far I've removed .kde .kderc .menu .menu-????-stamp. None of this helped. So I got the idea of creating a new user and trying to copy any "relevent" folders. No difference. So then I updated the system from an update source. While I was at it, I added the PLF sources but disabled them for now. No real change.

So far, my menus are shot, kcontrol has none of the actual config tools, and I am starting to think I won't figure this out. Anyone have any additional ideas?

If it is not a user problem look in /usr (that's where kde is installed.) So look in /usr/share/applications.

Thanks devries,

I believe it is a user problem. Logged in as the new user I created, things seem fine. Menus, icons, kcontrols, all seem fine. I'm starting to just back things up off the affected users home folder, but even that is strangely troublesome. Anyway I will most like just back up what I can and wipe out both drives and start all over. :wall:

Thanks again for your help. :thanks: