Get 10.2 release yet?

dmzeplin

I was looking for 10.2 iso, but I don't know if it will released yet, however I would like to join membership later tonight...

Hopefully I will get powerpack right away after I join the membership? Since I can't find software that can install 10.2??

Thanks

No, 10.2 is not out yet.

Actually, there is a rather pressing bug with the kernel in 10.2 rc1 that is holding up development.

I'm not entirely sure if this new release will be called 10.2 or if it's going to follow the new naming convention and be the 2005 Limited Edition. That remains to be seen.

The new release will be called 2005 Limited Edition, it's 10.2, they're the same thing (most of the devs still call it 10.2, actually). As far as this release is concerned, it's just a name change.

Final isn't out yet. RC2 is due Real Soon Now (probably around this weekend), final will come shortly after that, current plan is early April. Club members will have first access to it, then people who buy downloads, then the ISOs will be made freely available as usual.

• 2 weeks later...

Two important questions :

1) The kernel bug mentioned by Liquid Zoo, is that present in the x86_64 RC1 distibution as well ?

2) Are the 2005 limited edition x86_64 final iso's be available as free downloads eventually unlike earlier editions ?

Thanks,

A.

Edited by arshadmomen

I don't know what kernel bug he was talking about. There hasn't been a Single Huge Kernel Bug lately, AFAIK - the last Quite Big Kernel Bug I can think of was the ALSA hanging the kernel on boot one, which has been fixed in 32-bit and 64-bit with the latest releases. As for free ISOs for 64-bit, I still don't know yet, sorry.

I've been running rc2 since Sunday. Check the mirrors, it's there.

Build date is March 24th I think.

Final, Limed05, as I abbreviate Mandrakelinux Limited Edition 2005, should be out in about 2 weeks, but will NOT be available in packs.

As a clubmember you will have early access (typically about a month, not sure how they'll do it this time), and access to some extra packages that others will have to download from a variety of places.

My advice: if you want to have early access to iso images, and have no issues with bittorrent, clubmembership is the way to go. If you expect MdkSoft to treat you like a higher class citizen, pass on it. Treat clubmembership like tipping a waiter: for services you've received. If you don't expect too much, you'll be a happy clubmember. If you expect Mdk developers to suddenly fix your bugs because you paid the membership fee - you're not getting it, and you'll be very dissatisfied...

BTW, go to the mirrors, and try out rc2. It's now that you have to post bugs to http://qa.mandrakesoft.com so that they can be fixed in the final!

yep, still lots of bugs being squished. Fred fixed the 'USB devices with no partition table don't get auto-mounted' bug today, for which he is my hero. :) File those bugs! It's getting very close to final freeze now, though. Will be just a couple of days or so.