I do so love MDK sometimes...

adamw

So I was fiddling about on the weekend and decided I really ought to get my own website at last. A lot of the guys on planet.gnome.org host their blogs on WordPress, so I thought I'd use that. Anyways, I read its install guide, installed the apache2, mysql and php packages I'd need, read a couple chapters of the mysql documentation on how to create databases and users and lock down passwords, ran through the wordpress install guide, fired up http://localhost ...and there it was. Punched port 80 through my firewall, did some Googling on domain registration and cloaking, and you've got...

http://www.happyassassin.net/

actually hosted on my little Shuttle desktop. My previous knowledge of apache, mysql and content management systems: zero. gotta thank Oden for his amazing packaging skills. :)

Edited by adamw

qchem: oh, that's the standard wordpress template, my HTML skills are extremely basic and my CSS skills are zero so I haven't even tried to customise the layout yet. I might switch to a different template sometime soon though :). wordpress is very, very, very smooth right out of the tarball, you edit two or three values in one config file (to tell it about your mysql setup - I created a new mysql database and user just for wordpress, I figure that's the safe way to do things, that's why I had to read some mysql documentation) and it works, bam, just like that.

dragonmage: yep, you literally just untar the wordpress file and copy the whole lot into /var/www/html . That's it.