new Mandrakelinux release cycle

aRTee

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It looks more like Daffy Duck as depicted by Stephen King. Mandrake 2005 Limited Edition (why would you ever put "limited" in the name of an OS?) may become the first OS to require a "frightening content" advisory for children. The folks at Mandrakesoft must be overworked and not thinking straight.

You can get rid of it by installing the bootsplash-themes package and choosing a new theme in the Mandrake Control Center's "Boot" section, or simply disabling graphical boot entirely.

New information I got from Francois B. this morning: the future of the CE / OE structure has not yet been decided, it's going to be reviewed during the summer. For now, all that's certain is there won't be a CE / OE split for release 2005.

Reaction to the new splash on the Cooker list has been more or less completely negative, but actually I quite like it too, though it was a bit surprising at first :).

Gowator:

about urpmi and people not knowing it - I noticed in the 10.2rc1 (well, limited edition 2005 rc1, really) that when you open mcc, the first page is the software installer.

On easyurpmi, due to the restricted things they cannot really officially mention it - libdvdcss is in the 'free' part, but it's far from free to use in the USA due to the DMCA, as far as most people think. (Meaning, it's not been established in court that the DMCA doesn't forbid libdvdcss, and there has been a mention of a judge that it may not be forbidden....)

And that means that since Mdksoft is a company, the MAFIA (Music And Film Industry Association: with as members the MPAA, RIAA) would have an address to get money...

BTW agree on the update cd that should be in the box from the moment it becomes available - I mean to say that from day 1 there should be a voucher to send in to get the update cd sent as soon as said update cd becomes available. Maybe even 2 per year.

All packs in the shop should leave the door with the most recent update cd included, of course.

Just as all preloaded machines should have the updates inside.

Hi, I am a Latvian computer virus, but because of poor technology in my country, unfortunately I am not able do any harm to your computer.

Please be so kind to delete one of your important files yourself and then forward me to other users.

I love that sig!!!!!

Thanks Dyslexic!  I still get one right after the fullscreen Nvidia splash as KDE is auto booting into <user>.  Darned if I can find where it's coming from.  Thoughts?

You can change that in the KDE Control Center under System/Login Manager, assuming you're you're using KDM/MdkKDM (which is the default). If you're using GDM, you can change it with the GDM Configurator.

uuuh... after reading for many minutes all the posts, my only comment is: i don't care about the release cycle, as long as the system is stable, easy to use and will get security patches and important software updates (like OOo) on a regular basis. and one version per year is better than one in three years (debian stable) or one in five years (windows).