Skype / Internet Telephony

foot

Skype has a client for linux and it got me thinking about using it to call my friends in US / Canada. Has anyone had any experience with their services? Also, I am tempted to by a bluetooth headphone set for my mobile and wondered if its possible to connect to Skype via a bluetooth dongle? I know the LQ HCL suggests that at least one works, but has anyone got any experience of this kind of set up? Obviously wanna avoid paying out £40 if its never going to work! :)

Thanks in advance!

I use skype all the time. I haven't tried the bluetooth headset though I have been thinking it would be convenient!

Its also great combining skype out minutes and skype to skype .conference calls etc.

Problem is it takes over my soundcard 100%... I can't play movies or listen to amorok at the same time as having it waiting for a call.

Bugger it, I'll get a bluetooth headset and dongle from Overclockers and see how it goes at the weekend. Found a few things such as this which suggests its possible and there is some nice stuff about linux and my particular phone here, so it won't be a waste if I can't get the bluetooth skype thing going :)

Just thinking how the bluetooth thing would pass me by due to running linux - obviously I was wrong again :D

Edited by foot

:help:

OK, the bluetooth dongle works a treat and recognises both the phone and the headset (Logitech HS01) and I can move stuff between phone and computer easily with KbluetoothD. Now KbluetoothD is connected to the headset and gives me a connection address (00:0D:44 etc etc) and recognises the device etc etc. This has to be good.

Now, I don't suppose any of you clever people could translate this Skype thread, which refers to this article, which refers to this. Its all so waaay beyond me at the moment and without some guidance I'll probably do more harm than good! Skype is telling me that I should be making headset calls through /dev/dsp' which does exist, but the route inbetween has phrases like 'compiling kernels' and applying patches.

It won't be the end of the world if I can get the bluetooth headset to work Skype and its certainly not a 'reboot' windows kinda situation, but it would be quite cool! The set up is a pretty much standard mandrake 10.1 jobbie using KDE.

:thanks:

Edited by foot

skype is a great service, but there's a lot of SIP systems out there that do the same thing in a much more open fashion, they just don't have the hype. I really hope the next release of GnomeMeeting helps to kick SIP's popularity up there at least within the open source world. Having said that, I use Skype and Skypeout to call my family in the UK; they've really done a nice job of engineering a good system with a good interface, it's just a shame it's all proprietary.

bluetooth audio stuff really has not had any work on friendly configuration in MDK yet, sorry. Hope you can get it going, we'll give all the help we can :). I hope this can be done for the next version of MDK...

Thanks iphitus and Adam - like I said, its nothing terribly important - obviously I can just stick a microphone in. The other thing is trying to show other people that much more is poss with GNU/Linux than they probably think. Its easy to say 'virues? spyware?' when the windows people get their usual problems, but its another thing to actually be positive, beyond showing a few screenies. Bah, the output:

Module                  Size  Used by
isofs                  31352  1
nvidia               3913948  12
md5                     3584  1
ipv6                  230916  10
rfcomm                 32348  8
snd-seq-midi            6624  0
snd-emu10k1-synth       6656  0
snd-emux-synth         34976  1 snd-emu10k1-synth
snd-seq-virmidi         5632  1 snd-emux-synth
snd-seq-midi-emul       7200  1 snd-emux-synth
snd-seq-oss            31232  0
snd-seq-midi-event      6080  3 snd-seq-midi,snd-seq-virmidi,snd-seq-oss
snd-seq                47440  8 snd-seq-midi,snd-emux-synth,snd-seq-virmidi,snd-
seq-midi-emul,snd-seq-oss,snd-seq-midi-event
snd-pcm-oss            49480  0
snd-mixer-oss          17376  2 snd-pcm-oss
snd-emu10k1            90728  3 snd-emu10k1-synth
snd-rawmidi            19300  3 snd-seq-midi,snd-seq-virmidi,snd-emu10k1
snd-pcm                81800  2 snd-pcm-oss,snd-emu10k1
snd-timer              20356  2 snd-seq,snd-pcm
snd-seq-device          6344  7 snd-seq-midi,snd-emu10k1-synth,snd-emux-synth,sn
d-seq-oss,snd-seq,snd-emu10k1,snd-rawmidi
snd-ac97-codec         69392  1 snd-emu10k1
snd-page-alloc          7400  2 snd-emu10k1,snd-pcm
snd-util-mem            3232  2 snd-emux-synth,snd-emu10k1
snd-hwdep               6916  2 snd-emux-synth,snd-emu10k1
snd                    45988  15 snd-emux-synth,snd-seq-virmidi,snd-seq-oss,snd-
seq,snd-pcm-oss,snd-mixer-oss,snd-emu10k1,snd-rawmidi,snd-pcm,snd-timer,snd-seq-
device,snd-ac97-codec,snd-hwdep
soundcore               7008  2 snd
ipt_limit               1760  8
iptable_mangle          2080  0
ipt_LOG                 5568  8
ipt_MASQUERADE          2720  0
iptable_nat            21164  1 ipt_MASQUERADE
ipt_TOS                 1856  0
ipt_REJECT              5536  1
ip_conntrack_irc       70256  0
ip_conntrack_ftp       71120  0
ipt_state               1408  6
ip_conntrack           28616  5 ipt_MASQUERADE,iptable_nat,ip_conntrack_irc,ip_c                                           onntrack_ftp,ipt_state
iptable_filter          2080  1
ip_tables              14624  9 ipt_limit,iptable_mangle,ipt_LOG,ipt_MASQUERADE,                                           iptable_nat,ipt_TOS,ipt_REJECT,ipt_state,iptable_filter
af_packet              16072  2
floppy                 55088  0
tulip                  43040  0
ide-cd                 37280  1
cdrom                  37724  1 ide-cd
hidp                   11296  2
l2cap                  19876  12 rfcomm,hidp
hci_usb                10912  7
bluetooth              39076  16 rfcomm,hidp,l2cap,hci_usb
loop                   12520  0
supermount             34804  1
via-agp                 7360  1
agpgart                27752  2 nvidia,via-agp
ehci-hcd               26244  0
uhci-hcd               28752  0
usbcore               103172  5 hci_usb,ehci-hcd,uhci-hcd
ext3                  120680  2
jbd                    49080  1 ext3
[root@spc1-stok2-5-0-cust225 matt]# modprobe snd-bt-sco
FATAL: Module snd-bt-sco not found.
[root@spc1-stok2-5-0-cust225 matt]# ls /dev/dsp*
/dev/dsp

• 2 weeks later...

It seems that the good sound-quality of skype is because it uses a 16 khz encoding instead of the 8 khz and mayeb other things. You can have this encoding also with speex( speex.org). I only know one applicartion that supports 16 khz speex and that is linphone. Gnomemeeting will have support for it in gnomemeeting 2.0 I believe.

One friend of me asked to use skype, but I don't want to sue it if there are open alternatives that are of the same of better quality (I want to check it out anyway to compare them and make a decision then).

The problem is finding an application that can also be used on windows. Mayeb phonegaim is a solution since there is a beta-version for windows.

I have to say that the skyp-out rates are quite cheap indeed. I compared them for Belgium to the sipphone-rates (anyway, the company that is related to linspire) and the sipphone-rates are twice those of skype-out.

Michel

P.S.: you could also check voip-info.org if you're interested in headsets(sip, skype, ...):

http://voip-info.org/wiki-VOIP+Phones

Edited by Michel

• 4 weeks later...

On the urging of a friend who was travelling to Korea, I installed Skype on WinXP last week and finally go around to putting it on Mandrake 10.0 this morning.

I installed from the .tar.bz version, since I wasn't sure about the 10.1 RPM, and I needed to get another dependency (libdbus - no idea what it does, but it was available from the source-contrib RPM repository thingy).

Made a link on the desktop, and it just works. Flippin' marvellous, and even with my utterly-cheap-99p-from-ebuyer microphone/earbud combo, the quality isn't bad at all. Certainly better than my actual phone.

Highly recommended.

Edit: 100 posts. Apparently I win another penguin.

Edited by sellis