XMMS vs amaroK

axel_2078

Its apples and pears really - Xine is damned good at playing a variety of video formats (if you make sure you install the codecs from the nightly build page) whilst Amarok is more of a 'jukebox' audio player and is damned good (if a tad confusing at times) at sorting through your music files, making playlists etc etc

Amarok is a KDE application so it integrates nicely with the DE. It has all kinds of features: OSD, scripts (you can have the KDE speech synthesizer call out the name and arts of the song), lyrics, easy playlist edit, drag and drop (just drop a mp3, stream link in the play window and it works), different kind of output (arts, gstreamer etcetc), there is a player window option that makes it behave like xmms. In short Amarok is all you ever wanted in a Music player.

Xmms shows it's age.

Guest riscphree

I choose amarok over xmms for these reasons:

1) whenever i try to play something in xmms, it crashes.

2) amarok seems to work well for me.

3) what works right away, works for me :)

otherwise, its basically presonal preference, xmms is for all the people who used winamp when they used windows ;)

Guest kastorff

The biggest difference is library management, IMO. XMMS has a smaller memory/CPU footprint, but has less features in playlist/jukebox area. amaroK will do just about everything, and with the latest builds, do it well. The combination of mySQL and amaroK is the only way to go if you have a very large music library. We're talking orders of magnitude faster than Madman, Rhythmbox, JuK, etc. And amaroK can be configured to use the xine engine, which IMO simply sounds better for some stuff.

The biggest difference is library management, IMO. XMMS has a smaller memory/CPU footprint, but has less features in playlist/jukebox area. amaroK will do just about everything, and with the latest builds, do it well. The combination of mySQL and amaroK is the only way to go if you have a very large music library. We're talking orders of magnitude faster than Madman, Rhythmbox, JuK, etc. And amaroK can be configured to use the xine engine, which IMO simply sounds better for some stuff.

Hey,

welcome to MUSB, kastorff! B)